Screwfix forced card ownership.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neil S

Established Member
Reaction score
I was in Screwfix yesterday buying a 2D flurescent light bulb. We did the usual Postcode, house number and Surname thing. Then, without asking the girl behind the counter picked up one of their plastic store cards, scanned it, and handed it to me. (this is not a credit or charge card just a way to identify you the customer)

I don't want one of those thanks.
Management policy everyone must have one she said.
But my wallet is already full every available slot is doubled up with cards.
Blank look in response.

I should have just left the cards on the counter but you end up thinking that they have linked that card with my account so someone might be able to abuse it somehow.

Anyway the cards are now in the bin after being cut up.
Why do companies seem to go out of their way to force stuff upon us? I have been offered those customer ID cards plenty of times and politely declined. That's obviously not enough for them.

Oh well I guess I'll have to buy stuff from Toolstation from now on. It's usually cheaper in Toolstation anyway but so much of their stuff is Silverline and I've never had something from Silverline that hasn't turned out to be rubbish.

Any way thanks for the chance to get that off my chest Doc.
I feel so much better now.

-Neil

It's very annoying that you have to give screwfix so much info to be able to buy something. Without a bank account or email I doubt whether they would serve you!!

You don't have to give them info, you can just pay for stuff, all you have to say is "do you want my money or not?"
Personally it doesn't bother me, they have my details as I have ordered plenty of stuff online for delivery, but you can buy anonymously if you prefer, or just shop with someone else.

Has anyone else noticed that if you buy something in Screwfix you usually get a discount voucher a few days later?

As has been said, its not obligatory

Personally I have no problem with it, I have an email address specifically for this type of thing

And as has also been said, you get discounts, whats not to like ?

I don't mind Screwfix having my details, they always email me a copy invoice, makes my bookkeeping much easier as I am always losing receipts.

Doug

if you buy often from screwfix, the cards makes it tons easier. You write down the product numbers at home on a bit of paper, go to store and slap the card and the bit of paper of the counter then pay with a card, you dont have to say a word if you dont want to - job done. As they require address details etc, if you dont have a card you have to do that manually each time you go in. Screwfix model is geared to trades more than retail IMO so there needs to be a bit of swiftness about the transaction :)

I'm on a trade account with them, I get to use the secret door to land of free tea, biscuits and instant service...
I'm a big fan of the way they work, just order it online before I set out, walk in, tell them I've got a collection to pick up, 30 seconds later I'm out the door. Really annoys me if I have to go on a weekend when the trade counter is shut and you get stuck behind a horde of DIY'ers moaning about them trying to give them a card to make life easier... :lol:

TFrench":1alo85x6 said:
......... Really annoys me if I have to go on a weekend when the trade counter is shut and you get stuck behind a horde of DIY'ers moaning about them trying to give them a card to make life easier... :lol:
But it's such good fun to have queues of tradesmen behind you tutting and sighing as I debate why they should have my email address! :D :D

I don't carry a wallet. A phone, and a credit card is about it for me.

Toolstation gets 9 out of 10 of my orders, but I'm sure screwfix would give up with me after their system realised I lost their card every time.

Same as when they tried to force a card to top up a payg phone - they (the phone company) certainly managed to find another way to take my money in the end, even though it was initially "impossible"

It irritates me intensely when the details get sold on. My wife got caught by a chugger for a major charity (more fool her) and the guy swore her details wouldn't be sold or forwarded - within about four days she got six lots of junk mail from charities she'd never supported before.

You do not need to carry the card.
Just tell them your postcode and surname.
Like you I had a rant first time but TBH it saves time and they send you vouchers and free offers.

I must admit shops generally who tell me something is company policy really irritate, I am not employed by them so their policies are of no concern of mine.
AND if they comment it's "elf n safety" they really get it! :twisted:

Doug71":100dkkqd said:
I don't mind Screwfix having my details, they always email me a copy invoice, makes my bookkeeping much easier as I am always losing receipts.

Doug

This is one of the reasons why I'm happy as a tradesperson to have the card. It also saves time as all peopel without it get the same long winded treatment, a scan and you're ready, if you buy from this sort of retailer often, I can't see the issue. It's no different than the fast checkout systems from amazon - a few clicks and it's done.

I don't mind being asked if I want a card...
But if they insist no sale without giving up full name, address, telephone, email, DoB, rank, serial number, blood group, latest creatnine stats, pets gender, preferred pronouns and whatever else they interrogate you for, then they get no sale.

I don't mind the screwfix system, I find it quite useful. You don't have to keep your receipts, and all orders are stored so you can easily reorder or compare. I also like the way that I can log in, add items to my basket, pop down the store and then pay for said basket (when I don't want to use click and collect, as I often want to look at something before buying it).

I find this very strange but how many of you use apple products and the minute you want a free app have to give credit card details. there are no shops that I know of that ask for credit card details just in case you want to buy something

I always take an old receipt in with me, give it to the assistant & say 'there's my details'.
Gets confusing when I give them a Toolstation one by mistake.

Dalboy":382e36co said:
I find this very strange but how many of you use apple products and the minute you want a free app have to give credit card details. there are no shops that I know of that ask for credit card details just in case you want to buy something
Not any more you don't. I used to find this strange but there is an option to not have to do this.

Back