Screwfix Drill/Impact Driver Twin Pack Bargains - DeWalt vs Makita

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Makitas are great. Used to use Hitachi. Hitachi chucks were generally awful for bit loosening, but Makitas hold well. Dewalt stuff generally good (apart from ill-fitting pozi 2 bits which wear quickly) but no experience with their drills. Makita is generally reliable, (the only bad Makita purchase I made was their small pressure-washer as the jet is too pointed and the hose goes brittle and fails.)

………Dewalt stuff generally good (apart from ill-fitting pozi 2 bits which wear quickly)…….

Totally agree. I bought a pack of DeWalt pozi 2 impact bits and they last for less time than the previous pack of unbranded non-impact bits. I’ll certainly not be getting these again.
My cordless is now exclusively Milwaukee 18v which I am extremely pleased with.

Hi folks

Having asked on another couple of forums, some people elsewhere said you should never buy power tools from places like Toolstation and Screwfix. The logic being that they are always cheaper elsewhere and they tend to be poorly spec'd/priced cheaply to lure people in to a brand loyalty.

I've already bought the DeWalt set. Haven't used them yet and am starting to get near to my 30 day return deadline. Following the above, I've had a look and tried to compare offerings from other sites. I had to give up in the end. There are so many different model numbers, and then slight variations to the same numbers... To compare within one brand would need a degree in power tools. To do the same for all competing brands would need a PhD!

What I did find is that whilst the Screwfix set seems to be exclusive to SF, the individual tools - DCD778 and DCF787 - are available to buy in a few other shops. Taking the impact driver (DCF787) as an example, the best bare unit I could find was around £70. Which to my mind makes £160 for impact driver, drill, case, charger and two batteries quite a good deal.

Does anyone here agree with the above RE buying such tools for SF / TS? If anyone can find or knows of a comparable set for less money, or a better quality set for around the same money, please do let me know. I'd love to hear before the deadline to return is reached. Whilst I am tempted to splash out and go for a more professional better quality and more expensive set (or Milwaukee, etc), I don't think my use would justify it. I do like to buy well and buy once, but these tools might get used solidly for a week or two, then left for a month. Once the house is renovated, they'll only see small DIY jobs around the house, and things like fences, wood shelters, etc. outdoors. But that won't be all the time either. So I didn't go el cheapo, and not super pro either.

All ears to any suggestions.

Cheers

PS - even the DeWalt batteries are hard to compare! Some are block with a yellow button and some the reverse. Is there more to it than just colour? Does that signify different quality ranges or something?

Back