Screwfix cordless 24V combi drill??

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gidon

Established Member
Reaction score
http://screwfix.traq.it/g.html?d=103_78&url=22&u=D4Qz2wEL

It's just been reduced to £49.99 from £70 odd. Had anyone used it - is it any good. I'm tempted. But I've been had once before buying a cheap 12V cordless drill - now sits in the shed not being used. The lightweight (9.6V) Bosch one that replaced it was lower voltage but completely out perormed it in every way. But it would be handy having a decent cordless for diy jobs 'round the house. Ie drilling masonary etc.

Any experiences / thoughts appreciated.

Cheers

Gidon

Gidon
Some time ago they did a 24 volt that was the same as the one they have for £50 but it was only £30 odd :lol: , i couldnt and still cant see any dif, any way i got one and its fine, :) well almost, the charger has just pact up :( havnt had time yet to sort it out, i use it for work and its good as a drill and screwdriver but i wouldnt consider it as a hammer drill unless you have very soft walls :wink: .
Mick

I bought a 12v Metabo BST12 (made in Germany) special offer with 2 batteries £99 from D&M Tools recently and it's absolutely superb. D&M seem to have a special relationship with Metabo/Electra Bekum.
http://www.dm-tools.co.uk

Voltage is pretty useless way of defining a power tool. It's the power that counts. No good having a 24 volt battery if as soon as the trigger is pulled the voltage drops to such a level that not much power is sent to the motor. If I were you I would avoid the Screwfix. If the budget is very tight then I would buy a lesser model from a reputable range

John

I wholeheartedly agree, look at the amp hour rating of the battery, the higher it is the better the product (rule of thumb).

Unfortunately, the higher the number the higher the price DOH!!

B&Q warehouse recently had a pretty good deal on a Bosch kit, one cordless screwdriver/small drill, one cordless hammer drill twin speed, 2 x 12V battery and a quick charger, all in a case big enough to hold a small child. Think it was about £60 - £70.

I would be more tempted to go for that than the Screwfix 24v.

I have 2x 12v Makita cordless drills. They are great and I really can't put them down.

I've used 3 cordless drills:

- A 12v Powerdevil one (Roobish)
- A 12v Skil one. Good for what I was doing then. Shame I sold it
- The makita ones GREAT

You get what you pay for. My makitas were £105 each. Thats alot, but they are REALLY good.

I've got the metabo powergrip at the moment. I must say i'm very impressed with it an i'll soon be putting a review up on my site

Thanks all. I have the same experiences as you've had. Bit I'm always looking out for a bargain! I know that some of the Ferm stuff is ok so thought someone may have this drill and recommend it. Based on your comments I'll give it a miss. My Bosch 9.6v is more than adequate for most things woodworky - just not drilling masonary (ie household tasks) - but I'm not sure anything cordless will be unless I spend a lot of money. I'll just stop being lazy and plug in the extension lead! For the time being ...

Now that £35 SDS drill they do does look good value ......

Cheers

Gidon

Gidon
The sds drill dose look good but befor you buy have a look at Argos item no 710/5362, 750w sds drill with bits and chisels + a 13mm chuck for £40 advantage being you can take out there replacement product cover for just £8 :wink: , that means if it breaks or you drop it and break it within 3 years theye will give you a new one :D cant be bad.
Mick

Guys you gets what you pay for. don't buy that 30/40 pound rubish unless you really must.

If you want power, reliability, long battery life and a well balanced drill by Makita. I have 3 Makitas and my first Makita bought 15 years ago is still going strong

Just to tag onto the end on this topic about cordless drills,

Has anyone got a view on Atlas Copco(I think thats the name!) ?

I bought an AtlasC 14v Cordless Drill new a couple of years ago. I use it mainly for screwdriving and then not that much. The chucks now got quite a bit of sideways play in it which surprises me. What do you think?

Apart from the chuck prob. it seems a nice drill. German build and quite quiet. Others have liked it and passed positive comment.

Regards

Atlas Copco make pretty good compressors and other larger industrial tools.

Didn't really think that small power tools were really their thing though, however, you live and learn.

atlas copco drill are made by aeg and have now been rebranded milwalkie.

i've had just about every make of drill on the planet and the only one that has lasted more than 12 months is a panasonic.

yes they are expensive but i use them all day every day. i have the 15.6v drill driver (2 years old now)and the multi drill (1 year old).

they are the best drills i've ever owned. ( i've had alot)

the multi drill is great for screws as it is an impact driver.
you can put anything from a 6*1 slotted brass screw to a 6" coach screw in and you won't strip the heads.

if you do alot of screwing its definatley worth the money

aleks

u lucky.............. lucky ............. git!

my father had an AEG (before his garage was broken into and it went missing), I`d say it was one of the best cordless drills I`ve ever used, it had this strange under-slung light (underneath the chuck) which you could switch on incase you wanted to use the drill at night???? :D :D

superb bit of kit though, i wonder if who ever has it now appreciates it?

Anyone got any comments on the Metabo cordless. Seemed good on Johns workshop on h&l :?

i've never used one but the impression i get of metabo tools is that they are well made.
i always wonder whether manufacturers throw free tools at people on tv or if they have to buy their own?

aleks

kostello, maybe we will have to get on the box and who knows we might even get a workshop full of goodies. have you seen smith and sweetman, its like an eb showroom(jealous as ever)? :lol:

As the Metabo group own lecky beckum, it makes you wonder if they are pushing hard to have an alternative to the yelow rash of power tools so normally shown on tv DIY type shows???

John's workshop and Smith & Sweetman, both with lots of Metabo group tools. John Revell is going to destroy his EB chop saw though, I have now seen on 3 occasions sparks off that saw as the blade strikes the base.

you mean you actually saw john do something? are sure it was`nt his "chop saw speciallist" that was doing the work??

i saw the one the other day where he was making some speakers, he got a bloke in to route the holes for him.... i mean COME ON surely its not rocket science?

lots of nice tools, shame about the burk that they got to present the show, don`t even get me started about that "old bloke/young bloke show",!!! :?

anyhow METABO.... do seem pricey not really tried any of them though, i know several chippies who swear by their dewalt drill-drivers :shock:
(shocking.... some people who like dewalt!!! *grinz* )

Back