Screwfix - Aaaaaaaaaaaargh

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newbie_Neil

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

So I ordered my carpet tiles on Sunday from Screwfix and as they were so cheap I ordered some bits and pieces, that I didn't really need, so that I could get free delivery. I didn't need them until Thursday but I wanted to be safe.

Well, this morning a carpet tile shaped box arrived and I thought I'll just have a look at them as it doesn't seem very big. Oh, oh. It's also not very heavy.

I open the box and voila, no carpet tiles.

They hadn't even bothered to tell me that they were out of stock of the carpet tiles and to cap it all, they charged me for the delivery. :evil:

I have now cancelled my order and they are refunding my card with the carriage charge.

So it's B&Q on the way home tonight. :roll:

Sorry, rant over.

Cheers
Neil

Been using them for years. They were the best for delivery and reliabliity. Never paid for overnight delivery but 99% of the time the orders were there next day and all correct.

But lately ..... shocking. Seems they are relocating and getting a new computer system etc. and things aren't working very well. Also was told that because the staff are either having to move or lose their jobs, they are understandably apathetic to sorting problems. (OK - maybe a bit general there !).

Some real bad experiences with Screwfix lately.

Ooo, we haven't a good moan about Screwfix for ages. About due I suppose. Bad luck, Neil. :( I think relocation could be a real problem with them for a while. :roll:

Cheers, Alf

P.S. Gonna hit 1000 today d'you reckon?

Also, incidently, British Hardwoods are relocating at the moment.
I have placed my first order with them and it's taking ages. I've had to phone three times just to find out if my email was being processed.
Have now been told to expect delivery in a couple of weeks.
If I'd gone to my usual supplier the project would be finished by now, but I'm hoping the quality from BHs is going to make up for the wait :shock:

Aragorn

I have been using BHW for a few years and you can expect to wait at least 2 weeks for the delivery, so I don't just think it's because their moving.

Waka

Someone on the Screwfix forum received this explanation from Screwfix customer service for the poor deliveries the last few months. Deliveries have been worse since they moved from Yeovil.

28 May
1) There is a new computer system coming into operation over the next few months - so folks its gonna get worse while they get that sorted out. The current systems in use are still those that screwfix inherited over 10 years ago.

2) Carrier problems are acknowledged, and are damaging Screwfix's reputation - they have a somewhat antiquated service contract with carriers and very little perofromance measurement on carrier performance. If you have a problem with a carrier you need to make a formal complaint about the carrier by email or in writing - otherwise the carrier will never get held to account.

3) The new systems will provide much better carrier performance monitoring so things should have a chance of imroving over the medium provided the relevant follow-up actions are actually taken.

4) The new system will mean a new internet site as well - this is likely to result in either a parallel running of the old and new system = chaos, or a temporary switching off of the internet site = chaos.

In other words. Don't expect good service for a few months. :shock:

P.S. Gonna hit 1000 today d'you reckon?

I noticed the other day that Neil was getting close and it prompted me to thinking.. I wonder what the next 'level', if you like, of experience makes you. i.e. when you hit 50 posts you progress from woodworker to furniture maker. So I thought maybe at 500 posts it may upgrade you again, but no - Adam and Chris are both on 500+ and still F.M's :?

So, I thought, maybe when N.Neil gets to 1000 posts we'll find out. :D
Then you guys go and make him a moderator thereby changing his status before he hits 1000! :shock: :(

Come on guys, someone put me out of my misery and let me know what happens at 1000. Do you become a Master Craftsman? A Norm? A Becksvoort, maybe? I know it's a sad, simple thing but I'm a man of simple means and tastes. Oh, and it's bugging the hell outta me!! :x

Ta muchly

Gary

Gary,

I thought exactly the same thing. :oops: There I was agog to find out and then that goes and happens. Our next best hope is Adam now. Although I could resign my mod-ship due to sheer overcrowding in the bossy seats :wink: and see what happens. In my case I'm guessing a change to "chatterbox"... :roll:

Cheers, Alf

I'd like mine to change to carpenter - since that's what I am!
Little way to go yet mind you.
Still, pointless posts like this should help matters a little :wink:

I havn't ordered anything for some time but I once ordered on a Friday before a bank holiday & was told delivery would be Wednesday because they had loads of orders that were held up because of the holiday weekend. The order arrived on Tuesday, one day before the expected date. From the Screwfix forum it can be seen that most poor deliveries have been in the last few months. 1st because of the many redundancies before the move & then because of the changes at the new premises.

I have always had good delivery from them, even in the past couple of months.
However, I really hope the beanies haven't got to them and decided to rationalise :shock: the B&Q and Screwfix purchasing or logistics.
John

I've had fairly good service, but then we always club together at work, to get over the free delivery threshold, so you are always buying things in advance, so never really notice if it's a day or two late.

Adam

I have mixed feelings about Screwfix. I've bought from them when they were a nice, small and independant business right up to three weeks ago when I ordered 12 tubes of PU glue. Got an email to say they had been dispatched, two minutes later got another email to say they were not being dispatched. Three days later got an email to say they 'hoped' to dispatch them soon. Tubes delivered that day but only three were sent. On the phone to Screwfix and told only three had been ordered, charged for twelve though. They couldn't understand it at all but said they would refund me. Refund now paid and guess what then turned up yesterday, 9 tubes of PU glue, needless to say I haven't complained and my card has not, as yet, been charged :wink:

On my last order from Screwfix (3 weeks ago) they sent me a £399.99 fire alarm kit instead of an £18 consumer unit.

Being an upright citizen, (and I really needed the consumer unit for the workshop) I told them of their mistake and they arranged for a carrier to collect the alarm. On the specified day, I waited in (all day because they didn't give a pick up time) for the carrier and they didn't show.

Then they came the next day when no-one was home and Screwfix moaned at me because they could not collect.

They're off of my places to shop.

One thing that strikes me in all these conversations, is that people are "never in" when the delivery driver arrives. Almost without exception these days, i have every parcel delivered at work. I've never "missed" a delivery yet. Is their any reason people don't have stuff delivered at work? Even after a mistaken delivery I leave it down at goods inwards - but at my prior company - I just used to let the lady in reception know, I was expecting a parcel. Before that, I just used to let the guy on the security gate know, and he'd give me a call when the van arrived.

Adam

asleitch":2tbssvp1 said:
One thing that strikes me in all these conversations, is that people are "never in" when the delivery driver arrives. Almost without exception these days, i have every parcel delivered at work. I've never "missed" a delivery yet. Is their any reason people don't have stuff delivered at work? Adam

If you are a self-employed plumber etc you might not be at the same place two or three days in a row so it makes it difficult to have things delivered to customer addresses, if you working in the same place day in, day out then that's the answer :wink:

Anonymous":8rh8c7wj said:
asleitch":8rh8c7wj said:
One thing that strikes me in all these conversations, is that people are "never in" when the delivery driver arrives. Almost without exception these days, i have every parcel delivered at work. I've never "missed" a delivery yet. Is their any reason people don't have stuff delivered at work? Adam

If you are a self-employed plumber etc you might not be at the same place two or three days in a row so it makes it difficult to have things delivered to customer addresses, if you working in the same place day in, day out then that's the answer :wink:

OK, now that's a good reason. I wasn't thinking of that as I typed, but even so, is there no old lady across the road who you could address it to, and pick it up in the evening, or a mate in the situation above who could ring you once it arrives. Our local petrol station :shock: has a whole rack of these electronic "delivery boxes" - you address it to the delivery box at the petrol station, the guy then deposits it in the box, gets some form of receipt, and you have to key in a magic pin number to get to the contents. Costs a pound or two - which I think is pretty good value.

Adam

Back