screwdriver??

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GEPPETTO

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All, I have just bought an old backsaw which needs a lot of restoration.
I thought to remove the handle for derusting easily the blade. The handle is held in place with two nuts like the ones in the pict which are on the back lie-nielsen.
http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/5219/1414/1600/back saws.jpg

Is there a particular type of screwdriver or one would have to make one by himself?

Mod edit to change img code to link - Blogger doesn't let you hotlink pics, the swine :(

Gabriele,

You used to be able to buy screwdriver bits for the brace for "split nuts" such as those, and they work about the best in my experience. However you can make your own without too much trouble, and with the added advantage of making the driver fit the nuts perfectly. But a word of caution. Split nuts are very difficult to replace neatly - they were ground down flush with the handle after installation IIRC. Plus they're brass (at least I assume so? I've never seen any that weren't) so very soft and the threads are horribly easily damaged. I'd avoid removing them if at all possible.

Cheers, Alf

P.S. It's bothered me before - Philly, how come your saw nuts are on back to front on that LN? :-s

Alf, thanks for the mod and aswer.

I forgot to say one thing before. I thought to remove the handle to derust the blade and to see what is happened because the blade moves within the handle. Yes the split nuts are brass.

Do you have any thoughts?

Latest posts

Back