Screw Threads in wood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Learner Les

Established Member
Reaction score
Sometime, somewhere I read an article about making glue blocks by drilling and tapping a thread (the size of your spindle) into a piece of scrap. Now, I have tried this and the fit on the spindle is too sloppy and the block spins out of true (using ceder and oak scraps). Does anyone know where the article was published or anyone have experience of this ?

Les,

Sounds like Ian Wilkie's article in GWW # 147, May 2004, page 88. I think your difficulties may have to do with the choice of wood. Generally it pays to have as close-grained stuff as possible for taking, and holding, a thread. Box is ideal, but maple, sycamore, beech etc should all be okay.

Cheers, Alf

Wow is Alf a real person or some kind of powerful encyclopedia ? :shock:
GWW could be the source although I fancied that I read it online somewhere. I will try some beech that I know is lurking in my scrap bin,

Thanks Alf. :)

cambournepete":3cygulcl said:
Learner Les":3cygulcl said:
Wow is Alf a real person or some kind of powerful encyclopedia ? :shock:

I think Alf is a real person, but the speed, frequency and eloquence of her responses makes me wonder how she ever finds time to do any woodworking... :)
Ahh, there's the rub... <blushes in embarrasment right through from Vol 1 to Vol 19>

pete alf is a female and as we lads know a female can do 1/2 a dozen jobs at the same time :D i think its passed on from mother to daughter :p

Wulfric

Thanks mate, thats the article I was searching for. I have tried drilling and tapping with a 3/4 x 16 tap but the threads are a loose fit so I will re-read this page and try again.
Ta again.

You're welcome Les,

What size are you drilling the holes to start with 'cos that will make quite a difference to the outcome. I was planning to use a spade bit and adjust it on the grinder 'til I got the right size for a good fit. Also if you run the tap through in a hurry that could make the threads a bit baggy, you may need some lubricant such as wax polish, candle wax...?

Cheers
Wulf

Drill size is 18mm. The tapping hole chart at work suggests 17mm but I cannot get a bit that size. Your info states 11/16 (17.4 mm) so I will try to source an 11/16 bit or go to the grinder.

Back