Screw taper on morse?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Munty Scruntfundle

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi there.

Another thought this evening, I know, I need to be careful.

A screw centre on a morse taper would be very helpful. At the moment I have to fit different jaws to secure another bit of metal with a screw in which is attached with another bit of metal. It's a very over engineered solution. Yes the jaws come off and other things can be attached, but that's all time spent not really enjoying myself.

So why not put a morse taper on a screw? Or the other way around if you want to be dangerous. I found one on the bay, but only one. So I'm assuming people put think this is a bad idea.

There's only one problem I can really foresee, for some reason the workpiece stops rotating, the motor and belts continue rotating, which chews up the inside of your final drive shaft necessitating the purchase of a new lathe. Yeah, I can see the downside!

However the hamsters inside my lathe aren't particularly muscly, I don't know what 550w through the drive train converts to in hp, but I'm pretty sure it's not much. It's pretty easy to stall skimming a 6 inch diameter.

I worked with a 10 ton radial drill for some years, when that span a collet at high revs it didn't do that much damage. A 5 ton arm bouncing up and down is a little alarming though! I forget what make it was, the exploding hydraulic system buried it in the end. Poor old thing. Carlson springs to mind, but I don't know why.

Anyway, any ideas? (The morse screw, not the drill.) (Unless you know.)

I'll let you know how I get on with it when it arrives, (no idea where it's coming from, Japanastonia or somewhere, and as long as it doesn't totally lunch the lathe it should save me a lot of faff and time.

I've got a couple of old morse taper screw centres, absolutely lethal. If you don't have the tailstock engaged into the work you can work the taper loose and the workpiece comes flying off at you at however many RPM with the taper still attached to it. You can use them with light cuts and finishing work on say drawer knobs or something like that but I wouldn't dare use them for anything large (again 8-[).

Somebody did post a small story here of their run-in with a buffing wheel in a morse taper drill chuck coming lose from the spindle and whacking them in the eye, with photographic evidence. That post seems to have disappeared now? :? They might've deleted it themselves but I thought it was a good post reminding that these things are still very much dangerous if improperly used, even with the connotation of being a "hobby" machine.

Trevanion":3ev5dats said:
Somebody did post a small story here of their run-in with a buffing wheel in a morse taper drill chuck coming lose from the spindle and whacking them in the eye, with photographic evidence. …...

That can happen quite easily with something that is 'nose heavy' like a Jacobs chuck or mop.

A heavy wood turning chuck coming off a lathe because it has been run in reverse without a locking screw will often just drop off onto the bed (or jamb against the toolpost if you are face turning ) as by the very nature of coming undone it has had to stop due to a catch or slow down at least. Can be an unpleasant experience but not likely to travel far.

I ran tests with screw-in polishing mops mounted on a lathe chuck arbore to check results of someone running them in reverse and found that because by there very nature they must have stopped themselves to become unscrewed they just fell on the lathe bed.

A Morse taper fitting that is nose heavy can move further (sideways) to the periphery of the spindle cone as it comes out and continue to spin in an ever increasing arc as it comes out so that it leaves at spindle speed induced arc velocity.

Doing the same polishing mop check mounted on an unsecured Morse Taper fitting could drop off in an increasing arc, regardless of lathe spindle direction, mainly because by the very nature of applying side pressure to the mop you encourage the thing to move sideways in the first instance.

Axminster sell 4 'screw chucks'. 810386, 810383, 810385 & 701456. Hmm, prices have risen - now £18.95 to £29.95.
Basically they are discs which can be held in the chuck jaws & have a central woodworm screw. Although meant to fit their own range of chucks I would guess they could be used with other brands.

Back