Screw for toe of rear handle of Record Marples No 5

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harryd

Established Member
Reaction score
planeparts.JPG
I have a Record Marples No 5 in good, clean order, but it is missing the rear handle toe screw – No 6 in the picture. This screw should be a round-headed 7/32"-20 tpi Whitworth. However, as the plane has resin handles, the toe is somewhat thicker than the wooden equivalent, so the screw needs to be ¾” or 20mm long, which is longer than the standard screw. This is the difficult part.
Does anyone have such a screw which they would be willing to sell? I am quite happy to pay appreciably more than the 6d quoted in the original catalogue.
Thank you for having read this.

Mod Edit:- Copied from Wanted section to allow forum discussion, anyone offering parts please use the Wanted section entry.

Attachments

• planeparts.JPG
    planeparts.JPG
    127.8 KB · Views: 614
Does anyone know if the screws for record and Stanley's of this era are the same? If yes I think I can help.

If you want to return your plane back to it's original condition then what I am going to say will be of no interest.
I had a record 4 1/2 in a terrible condition kicking around in my workshop for years and I don't even know how I came by it.
One day with little else to do I thought that I could see if I could get it back into use, the same screw that you have missing was missing from mine but I found that a metric setscrew of I think was 5mm but may have been 6mm cut to length does screw in and holds the handle in place.
That plane that l once thought was scrap is now my go to plane.

Frog screws are perfect for this, they are the same thread and fit perfectly.

Thank you for all this good advice. A frog screw fits perfectly, but is too short so I will either have to countersink or reduce the thickness of the toe.
I think part of the problem is that this is quite a late plane - brass screw instead of a lever cap, so post 1995, apparently. Earlier Stanley and Record screws too fat.
I am very grateful.

Are you absolutely certain it's a Whitworth form thread and not a more modern metric thread if it's a post '95 plane? I wouldn't be surprised if they modernized the parts on the plane just to keep costs down.

I too had a Record Marples no5 until about a week ago and you know what - it had exactly the same screw missing. The frog screws on newer Record Marples planes are a lot longer than vintage record ones for some reason, so.. I used the frog screw from the Record Marples no5 as a handle screw and replaced the now missing frog screw with a slightly shorter one from unused no4 plane. It all worked out perfectly.

Trevanion":nleaxzn9 said:
Are you absolutely certain it's a Whitworth form thread and not a more modern metric thread...
I believe Irwin changed to metric screws on their Record-Marples planes towards the end. Check that out first.

Cheers, Vann.

I do have a few cheese head frog screws left, I bought 20 some years ago and have been sending them to people who have missing ones.
You are welcome to have one if you are sure its the Whitworth thread.

PM me your address.

Pete

Thank you all for the very helpful advice and suggestions. It's all temporarily on hold as my wife has been in hospital since Saturday. She should be out today, then, I hope , I can pick up a number of dropped threads

Back