Screw eyes and thin wood.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WonderWoman

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

If I wanted to thread a screw eye into a 6mm thick piece of wood, whats the best way to go about it without the wood splitting?
The packet of eyes I have say EB 12x00.

I would be inclined to drill a pilot hole slightly smaller than the screw thread, but not to the complete depth of the wood.

Thanks.

The pices of wood are like a drinks coaster about 4"x4" and 6mm thck.
If I then cut a small square out of it and wanted to place a screw eye in that square how would i get a straight pilot hole?Or wouldnt I, and Id just have to make do with a slightly squwiff one.

I would drill a pilot hole and then squirt a tiny dab of epoxy or CA glue in before screwing the eye in place. That would strengthen the area and prevent the eye from tearing out.

I bought some balsa type wood that is 6mm thick.The screw eye went in nicely without a pilot hole.

I want to cut shapes out of the wood, am I wrong in thinking I can do the ole 'cut squares out with a stanley knife' trick, or will 6mm thick wood be better with a proper little saw?

Back