Screw Extractors

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alf

Established Member
Reaction score
The Old Man has decided he needs the means to remove damaged screws beyond his previous technique of cursing and levering at 'em with a claw hammer. To which end I'm wondering on his behalf whether anyone has any experience with Axminster's Screwbusters? Or any alternatives, of course, including "forget 'em all, they never work" if you must.

Cheers, Alf

I have not tried the screwbusters as I was not sure how well they would work with modern pozi screws which are hardened steel, probably OK in slotted steel or brass.

Jason

I've got the Trend set, sometimes they work wonderfully sometimes not, seems to depend on the screw, possibly how hard it is? It is important to use them at a low speed but sometimes they just won't get a grip.

Despite them not working perfectly I'm glad I bought them and would buy another set if I lost them.

Keith

Alf, much prefer the real type of screw extractor, like this
http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.asp? ... e=1&jump=0
although at a coupe or three quid wouldn't think that they would be up to the job. Best get a set from an engineering hardware source. The Screwbusters and the Trend Snappy versions don't look that good or indeed don't appear as versatile (for use on other types of fasteners). JMHO, of course.

Noel

I have a set of these and as Keith says they are usually very good but occassionally they struggle to grip and when they do it is very easy to damage the serrated edge that digs into the screw head.

Graeme

I have the Trend set and have found them to work very well. The trrick seems to be to start with the smallest size, use plenty of presure and VERY slow. If they don't work (which is possible) then certainly nothing else will. It's all about the quality of the edge and the hardness of the material
John

Another approach I have used once or twice (its usefulness depends on whatever has the recalcitrant screw in it) is to take a piece of steel pipe and file teeth on the end then drill with it around the screw. Break out the core then plug with a bit of wood before putting in a new screw.

Thanks, folks. Found the Trend set in the Axminster catalogue eventually - next to the files for some reason. :? Might give them a go, on the basis Trend stuff is generally pretty good, if pricier. The sharpened pipe solution is one I'm familiar with, but there's no way the old man will "waste time" with that as a solution I'm afraid. :roll:

Cheers, Alf

Back