• We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

Screw drivers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

AndyBoyd

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm in the process of designing a new workbench and a second tool cabinet.

The cabinet will be for general tools (spanners, screwdrivers, allen keys etc etc)

Upon noticing the Lie Nielsen screwdriver I was wondering does anyone know a retailer of high quality screw driver handles that can take the 1/4" hex bits. Wooden would be ideal but not so necessary. One thing I like is the sprung ball bearing fitting ones that the longer bits fit into, negating the need for a magnet. Also one with a long shaft and one with a short shaft like the LN one:
http://www.lie-nielsen.com/tool.html?id=Multi-Tip

Chris Knight

Established Member
Reaction score
Andy,

I am unclear what you are after. Mutli-tip screwdrivers are ten a penny - mostly plastic and very cheap. If you want high quality, what's wrong with the LN? For length, surely its the bit not the handle that is the important thing?

AndyBoyd

Established Member
Reaction score
I do like the LN but it's 45$ so a bit pricey and even so I'd like one with a longer shaft as well as one with a shorter one like the LN.

I do not want to have to add shaft extenders.

I can get cheap ones but they all seem to fail to bits pretty quick, especially if you drop them as i have just done so.

I'm building up a very good collection of high quality tools and so hanging my red and rubber plasticcy one there will look a little out of place.

Chris Knight

Established Member
Reaction score
Perhaps you could remove the handle of your present one and stick it in a wooden handle? If need be use an angle grinder to get it down to a size and shape you can wrap in a piece of wood (two halves, morticed for the former plastic thing)