Screw driver head

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

artie

Sawdust manufacturer.
Reaction score
Anyone recognise this type of screw head and where might I find a screwdriver to fit it.

IMG_20201201_211743700.jpg

OK thanks, I've never used a torx that small. my range of bits doesn't include it.

Yeah most standard bit sets stop at T20 or T15 but you can buy "Precision" bit sets that go much smaller, mine goes down to T4

Another vote for the Draper set. Very useful. If you ever need anything smaller/fiddlier, I can strongly recommend the iFixit sets. I often find myself reaching for them for smaller screws and grub fasteners

The only issue is if the screws are recessed then you need a set of individual screwdrivers, which is much more expensive.

Meant to add that you can buy folding Torx key sets like an old bike multi tool. They’re not brilliant with anything that requires some elbow to shift them but they’re very useful if you need some extra reach into a recessed space without buying a specific driver. Screwfix sell them, amongst others. Look for Torx Keys.

This set is very useful for £5:
https://www.toolstation.com/draper-security-bit-set/p52910The only issue is if the screws are recessed then you need a set of individual screwdrivers, which is much more expensive.
You will find other uses for them as well. Years ago we had to justify what we spent at work and I spent £10 on a set (they were rare at the time). The boss said I shouldn't have bought them. I said fine, next time I'll send you a £25 call out charge from the electrician. It was needed to change a mains lead that had had broken (which was very common in a commercial environment as people took no care with anything - probably two thirds of all failures were broken leads).

I've had my copy of the Draper set for 20-25 years. They saved my bacon quite a few times, when I was responsible for servicing the A.V. stuff in our school. There are numerous instances of 'weird' screw heads in projectors, recorders, and (particularly) some cable connectors and printed board mounts.
Sam

I was in town this morning and picked up a a set.
Turns out it's t6.
The kit is rubbish but it did the job.
I'll get the draper set when I'm needing some other stuff from Amazon.
Thanks all.

seems like you sorted it now but just so say on a few occasions i've been able to create a makeshift screwdriver by softening some plastic ( i have a few plant labels that I often use) over a flame, pushing it firmly onto the screw head, letting cool for a few seconds, then turn carefully. Obviously the quality is incomparable to a manufactured screwdriver, but is has worked for me on several occasions. the real limitation is if the screw is overtightened or rusted. immediate and essentially free, and you get to feel like mcguyver

Back