Screw and nicker missing on Record 778

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The clover-leaf nicker tends to push the plane away from the shoulder of a cross grain rebate resulting is a stepped joint. I wouldn't use it if I were you -- knife a deep line as Paul suggests (I use a Stanley fixed blade utility knife with the thickest blade they sell and register it against a straight edge; a cutting gauge will work too). Once you are into the cut the 778's cutter being very slightly proud on the shoulder side will usually take care of the rest. Rebates along the length of the board of course do not require knifing or the use of the nickers.

However, if you want them for the sake of completeness or to prove everyone wrong/right, look on fleabay for otherwise broken/incomplete/miss-titled/pick up only 778's, eventually something will turn up - I recently bought a very incomplete Record 050 for that very reason for £5, highly unlikely I will never need those extra bits, but at least the completeist in me can sleep more easily!

Cheerio,

Carl

Carl P":sfztd8om said:
- I recently bought a very incomplete Record 050 for that very reason for £5, highly unlikely I will never need those extra bits, but at least the completeist in me can sleep more easily!
No, now you have to buy the next incomplete No.050 to get the parts needed to complete your other incomplete one.

Or at least that's how I started on this plane buying slope... :roll:

Cheers, Vann.

I hate to admit it, but there is a part of me that wants to do exactly that - I try to get round it by putting such things back on fleabay as quickly as possible, although there's that voice (possibly my father's) in my head saying 'You ought to keep hold of that you know, you might drop the fence, you never know when you might need a spare...' etc, I shouldn't blame my Dad for my position on slope though - I didn't need any encouragement!

Cheerio,

Carl

Both parts come up fairly frequently on the Bay, I bought a nicker and the entire blade assembly in stages for a plane I was given because they were missing. I think I paid less than £15 for everything.

Many thanks for your suggestions folks, i have been looking at ebay but baulk at paying around £13 for the ones that regularly crop up from the USA, i'll keep my eyes open for a UK one and in the meantime use knife cut as suggested. Thanks again, Mike

PM me with a name and address and I'll pop one in the post. At the moment a friend has 10 of then on eBay, so I phoned him and he took one out of a brazed up Record 78 for me.

Hi Alvan, im just home from being away for a few days and was delighted to find a small package with the missing nicker had arrived! Very many thanks for that, great generosity which is very much appreciated. Thanks again, Mike.

Back