Screw Advance Box Joint Jig

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scholar

Established Member
Reaction score
There have been a few comments about box joints/comb joints and related jigs - I said I would post a pic or two of the one I made. Steve Maskery has posted details of his jig with a nice how to video here finger-joint-advice-t94807.html

I have been using box joints quite a lot and the more you do the easier they become. I have a Woodrat and that does the job really nicely. However, when I wanted to make some big box jointed drawers out of (12mm) birch ply, whilst the Woodrat could have done this with some care, I thought it was time to bite the bullet and make a table saw jig. I had long intended to make a jig like Steve's (similar, I think to the great Norm Abram's), but my gadget tendency got the better of me and I went for the Screw Advance Box Joint Jig designed by Matthias Wandell - details on his Woodgears website here https://woodgears.ca/box_joint/jig.html

The online plans are a few $$ and very well done I think - the plans and instructions were easy enough to follow, (with a few checks back to the videos for a slow learner like me). Like most things, it actually took me a bit longer than I guessed to make the jig, but it was mostly made out of scrap and offcuts, only having to buy a few odd bits of hardware (£10 or so).

It works every bit as well as Matthias's in his videos - the website shows all the details you need. I think one or two others here have made the jig; the only significant modification I made, which might be relevant to other UK users, is that instead of using a guide in the table saw T-slot, I have attached the jig to the fence on the sliding table - this works well and I guess carries a bit of the weight as it slides back and forth.

Here is a couple of pics

Now I have the jig, it takes very little to set up. So whether you make Steve's jig or the Woodgears jig, it is a worthwhile investment of time.

Cheers

Back