Scratch stock or Molding plane?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chems

Established Member
Reaction score
I've made some raised panels using the TS and now need to clean up the top edge. I've done one with a chisel, and could do the others the same way, but fancy taking the opportunity to make something to do it. Would a scratch stock of a molding plane be better suited to the job. Here is the waste left by the saw that needs to be cleaned up:

Cyclones.jpg

Here is the profile, the bit circled is the bit I want to clean up.

Cyclones.jpg

Any suggestions as to which would be better?

Attachments

• PanelProfile.png
    PanelProfile.png
    9.4 KB · Views: 683
I'd take it back to vertical with a shoulder plane which would leave a little flat on the field, which I'd take down with the same plane.
I've done this a lot with a TS but don't get your waste detail - quite the opposite- the end of the blade leaves an undercut edge which is easy to plane off to make a raised panel. Or not raise the panel at all so there is no edge detail to deal with.

Yes I know what you mean about the normal undercut. Thats what I got with this. But then I did a second TS cut with the panels face down, blade over at 45 to chamfer the edge of the panel. Which left me with the little bit of waste you see. A shoulder plane it is then!

Back