Scrapwood again

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ulrich

Established Member
Reaction score
Several years ago I happened to meet a comb maker at a local arts and crafts market. I was fascinated by the techniques of his old and today very rare craft and purchased one of his beautiful combs made from service tree (Sorbus torrninalis). Now recently I discovered the website of this comb maker, too, and found there in his online shop besides combs some wooden salad and spaghetti servers, which inspired me to try a pair of my own from some pear scrap wood I still had in my timber stack. Here are the results. The rough work was done on the bandsaw, then I used flat and concave spokeshaves to round over the edges and finished with sandpaper and steel wool. Finally I let soak the servers in walnut oil overnight, then rubbed them dry.

Ulrich

salatbesteck_kompr.jpg

absolutely beautiful, another for the 'stolen idea' list :D

Hi Ulrich,

Like the idea, and they look great.
I was looking for ideas for Christmas presents.

couple of questions
At a guess they are about hand size.
What other woods are good for use with foods?
What thickness of wood did you use

Cheers

Neil

Excellent Ulrich.

From the picture, it looks like you have thyme on your hands!

Cheers

Tim

Right for the thyme, Tim - we have lot's of it in our garden.

As for your question, Neil: The salad servers really are about hand size - 100 x 200 mm. The piece of scrap wood was about 40 mm thick. On the bandsaw I sawed a slighty S-curved form. On the side, where you grasp the servers, they are almost 20 mm thick, at the teeth only about 10 mm. If you want to make something similar, I think any hardwood would be convenient, but often similar products are made from fruit wood (I am not sure wether that's the the right English word) - cherry, apple, pear, plume and so on.

Best wishes

Ulrich

Ulrich":3ed55mmf said:
Right for the thyme, Tim - we have lot's of it in our garden.

I knew it wouldn't work in translation - it was a play on words - thyme / time. Sorry!

Cheers

Tim

OK, I'm going to ask a dumb question. What are the combs for?
They look great. I guess we don't use them here in Indiana or I never saw them.

Bob

Believe they are salad servers (and very nice they look as well!)
A pleasant change from the fork/spoon combo.
And I second the vote for using fruit woods for food items (I like cherry and pear)

P.S. - Ulrich - very nice work :D

Thanks for the answer to my question. I haven't seen any like that but that would be an easy way to get your salad.
I don't feel so dumb now, maybe a little smarter.

Bob

not just for serving.. Also used for 'tossing' The process of distributing the dressing through the salad evenly to coat all the leaves.

These could also be used for serving spaghetti

Latest posts

Back