Scrapers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aragorn

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all
I'd like to venture into the world of scrapers, but I've never used one before and know next to nothing about them.
From a quick look there seems to be different thicknesses - what does the variation signify? Also, veritas do a scraper holder - might this be a better way to start off??
Any entry level info, advice, links etc greatly appreciated!

Thanks
A

Aragorn,

Did you go to the links in this thread at all? The scraper tutorial knows all. :D For sharpening (I know, you didn't ask, but what the heck), a compulsive cross-poster, Bob Smalser, has done a step-by-step, illustrated guide which isn't bad. You can find it here and her - oh, just for once he seems to have only posted it in one place! :roll:

Cheers, Alf

Aragorn,

I won't duplicate any of the excellent advice out there except to say - DO NOT buy a scraper holder till you have thoroughly burnt your thumbs and made piles of gossamer shavings. Until you have done this, you won't be in a position to really appreciate the nuances of a scraper and whilst they are not exactly complicated(!!) you need the experience of using one au naturel to know what to demand of a scraper holder - which puts so many barriers in the way of really feeling what is going on that it will make using a scraper seem far harder than necessary at first.

You may gather, correctly, from this that I did buy the Veritas scraper holder first! It prevented me from using a scraper properly for at least 3 years!

Thanks Alf
Now I feel silly! :oops: I should have looked at the other threads. Sorry to waste your time! I'll have a better read of the info and get back if I have questions.

Ta
A!

Aragorn,

you asking questions helps the rest of us and brings the topic back to the top of the pile....and with perfect timing. I just ordered a couple of cheap scrapers and a burnisher from APT to get started playing with them, so this saves me having to dip too far into the archives.

I looked at the veritas holder, and also their adjustable burnisher, then decided to keep it cheap and just get a couple of the clifton scrapers and a GBP5 burnisher. Now, thanks to Chris' advice I can feel better about that decision - its not cheaping out, its learning the tools....

Hi Chris
Only just saw your message above. Thanks for the heads-up.
I would probably have gone down the holder route because it seemed more fool proof, but scrapers aren't exactly expensive, so I'll follow your advice and get going as it is, burnt thumbs included.

A

Back