Scraper shapes.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam W.

A Major Clanger
Reaction score
I've just been having a look on the Bay of Flea and came across these turning tools.

I know No.3 is not a turning tool and No.2 is a regular scraper , but what are the others for with shapes like that ?

s-l1600.jpg

I think the ones on the right and left are for cleaning out the insides of vessels. To get a clean bottom to side transition, just a guess as I am pretty amateur at turning.
Interested to find out.

Ollie

Agreed, box scraper for getting into the corners seems likely to me, however I’m not sure why they would be ground on both sides.

Have just made myself a scraper like No 1 to make some rings. found I had to grind some clearance on the non cutting side to prevent it fouling on the opposite side. With rings you are scraping in 15, to 20 mm openings hence the clearance requirement.

found I had to grind some clearance on the non cutting side to prevent it fouling on the opposite side.

Good point. My initial thoughts were the owner ground both sides then said "doh, why did I do that", or that they had a fancy reversing lathe and wanted to be able to scrape both ways to deal with irregular grain. But your answer makes far more sense.

I have just ground a quasi-french-curve on the left hand edge of a 1/2 inch domed scraper to finish steep sided bowls, works well and doesn't detract much from its original use because from the middle rightwards it is all just as it was.

Ground on both sides is interesting. wonder if possible to grind opposite sides so you can sharpen both and then if gets dull in use just flip it over and use other side. Would require end to be ground 50/50 but very do’able?

Latest posts

Back