Scraper Planes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I eventually gave in to the rounded scraper idea (for metal) only a fortnight ago, after
getting deep gashes in me frying pan.

SAM_5238.JPG

Done the other side of this farmers own file too
SAM_5240.JPG

Stainless steel underneath, still sticks like poop on a blanket.
More water needed when frying.

as in deep scratches from corners?

My picture is top side on the scraper and doesn't do a good job of showing the radius. It's not drastic like a jack plane, but it's pretty pronounced. long side edges and corners getting into flat surfaces always increases the work needed to remove marks 10x.

Over the last 15 years, I've learned that getting better at things (as in, getting closer to what pro and fine makers do) is often a matter of doing less work and figuring out how to do less rather than more. Which is a nice thing - getting finer results often converges with less effort (especially in the rework part). Functional laziness.

I eventually gave in to the rounded scraper idea (for metal) only a fortnight ago, after
getting deep gashes in me frying pan.

View attachment 129000
Done the other side of this farmers own file too
View attachment 129001

Stainless steel underneath, still sticks like poop on a blanket.
More water needed when frying.
SS no good you need a cast iron frying pan. Non stick - lasts forever

stainless will do the same thing if you allow it to season. Nobody wants to allow it to season. most of the diners here use stamped steel pans that are never fully washed as their short order pans. I'm guessing they're not heavier pans because it's more work if they're heavier than they need to be and they're always cooking on gas. Cheap stamped steel pans don't look as stylish as cast, though - they just look like someone is too lazy to wash pans.

yeah cast iron pans are the best, I've had one for 12 years now, still as good as the day I bought it, will likely outlast me!

Yes, we changed over to cast iron frying pans a few years ago.
Night and day.
No problem cleaning, they still look as good as the day we bought them.

Yes, we changed over to cast iron frying pans a few years ago.
Night and day.
No problem cleaning, they still look as good as the day we bought them.
The weight can be an issue - tossing a pancake becomes a body building exercise and if the smash them down a bit hard you could probably damage an AGA!
I first discovered them in Wales as the "skillet", designed to hang over an open fire and perfect for welsh cakes.

Latest posts

Back