Scraper Plane Help

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philly

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All
Firstly, fear not-this is not a disguised gloat! :lol: :lol:
I have the Veritas large scraper plane (the 112 copy). It is a lovely bit of kit but I am having trouble getting it to work correctly.
I have polished up the blade and turned a burr at 15 degrees (as recommended in the instructions). The blade cut great free-hand so I am happy that I have turned a nice burr.
I fit the blade, a piece of paper under the toe to give a small amount of cut. Secure the blade, test cut, tweak depth of cut or curve, then try again. Starts to take a nice shaving then digs in badly on one corner and the blade skews :evil: I cannot get it to cut consistantly without the blade shifting. I cannot see any problem in the throat.
Any ideas would be welcomed (or I might have a scraper plane going cheap....... :shock: )
Don't make me go back to my trusty #80
Philly :D

Philly,

I have the LN so this may not help..

I believe you can bow the LV blade to avoid the corners of the blade digging in - are you doing this?

Also, try experimenting with the angle of "lean" on the blade, could be you need a bit more.

I find that for a light shaving, I don't really need a paper shim under the front of the plane, the action of securing the blade seems to be enough to make it protrude the right amount.

Philly hi

Sorry to hear of the issues, I am not ceratin why as we have never experienced this.

We will get one out, have a play and see whether we can work out whats wrong. I am a bit tied up to do this today and Tuesday however Keith and I are both in on Wednesday so we can get back to you then. We will post.

Rob may well pic this up and offer a reply meantime.

PM me if you have any helpful thoughts.

PS Note our guarantee is always to refund unhappy consumers within reason, so no need to sell it on. FYI.

Martin
Very kind!!
Fear not, I was only joking about selling it on-I WILL NOT BE BEAT! :lol: :lol:
CHeers

Good news. Frankly we have sold so many (and had none back, normally the best sign) it would silly to do so as I am sure we can sort this.

Martin

Philly,
I'm with Chris, if you're using the thin blades that flex then wouldn't you just set it like an 80, flat on the bench so the subsequent curve gives you the cut?
I also use a LN 112 and the depth of cut can be easily controlled by changing the angle of the bed. I just lay it flat, insert the blade and tighten, then tilt it a few degrees forward and it cuts like a charm. Have you tried without a burr? I don't use a burr on my scraper planes and they give me nice curlies. If all else fails you could do a test with no burr to see if the burr you rolled is even across the blade (if not that might explain the digging in on one side).
Just a few thoughts.
Frank (who really loves his LN 112 :twisted: :lol: )

Frank
Yes, I am tweaking depth of cut with the "curve" screw. It recommends setting the blade at approx 5 degrees, then tweaking (using a combination of curve and angle adjustment) til I get the depth of cut I need. And no, I'm not trying to take off whopping shavings!
As I get it close and it starts taking, say, 1 inch wide shavings, it seems to catch the blade and move it. Then it digs a corner in and its all over, cursing, etc. Reset, start again, same thing happens. :cry:
Cheers

Philly, are you tightening the screws to clamp the blade enough? C'mon Philly, I know you're not a wimp, turn them real hard! You could also use your LN screwdrivers to get some extra torque... :lol:
Just pullin' your gloating leg a little...
Frank

Hi Philly -

Tough to diagnose this long distance... but here's what i do...

Firstly - I burnish at a lower angle - say 8-10 degrees...

Then I try scraping with the blade by hand - to get a feel for where the burnished blade cuts best... and set your frog at that angle. Place the plane on a flat surface, and let the blade contact the wood...tighten up the clamping screw. Now, tilt the frog just a touch back (so the blade is not touching the wood) and bow it (now it may be engaging the wood again just a tad)...and adjust cut carefully by moving the frog, and altering the bow...

One has to juggle frog angle, burnish angle, blade projection, and bow....

The good news is - one you've got it - it's easy to repeat...

FWIW - I use this plane often as a "pull" plane....especially for longer strokes....try that too!

Cheers -

Rob

Good news! :D
Had a go with the instructions Rob posted last night-Bingo!
scraper%20plane.jpg

As you can see, I got it working just fine. The burr I turned at 15 degrees is too agressive for this plane and it digs in, pulling the blade out of alignment. I reckon 5 degrees (which is the angle I use on my hand scrapers) to be about right. I have the blade almost vertical at the moment, and it cut nice wide curlies!
So thanks for you help everyone, and fear not Martin-another satisfied customer :wink:
scraper%20plane2.jpg

cheers

Glad you got it working Philly, I can’t help wondering if this was just a disguised gloat after all though :? :p

Me? Gloat?? :roll: :lol:
Rob, cheers again for the advise. I think I was using it too much like a plane, if that makes sense??
Cheers

Back