Scrap yew

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

babylon355

Established Member
Reaction score
Had a couple of pieces of scrap yew knocking about and just made a few very simple bowls. I quite like 'em but open to critique.

P6060031.jpg

P6060030.jpg

Yes that was the aim with it. I know a high gloss finish isn't to everyone's taste but in my humble opinion I reckon it looks good against the rough exterior.
Thanks

I like how the difference makes it look like 2 different pieces of wood =D>

Here's another one who likes that - it really shows what was hidden inside the block.

Like it very much - I am pretty new to this turning lark - and enjoying myself very much, making lots of scrap :p and practicing different shapes - the first dig in and a piece of wood flying out of the chuck was less enjoyable :roll:

But in the effort of improving i was wondering how would get the bottom flat so that sits nicely on a table top?

sammo":3herb1s8 said:
Like it very much - I am pretty new to this turning lark - and enjoying myself very much, making lots of scrap :p and practicing different shapes - the first dig in and a piece of wood flying out of the chuck was less enjoyable :roll:

But in the effort of improving i was wondering how would get the bottom flat so that sits nicely on a table top?

I tend not to make the bottom flat but slightly concave so that just the edges touch the ground. This avoids most rocky situations and, should the wood move at all, its easy to sand flat as there isn't too much wood to remove.

babylon355":10snndwz said:
Had a couple of pieces of scrap yew knocking about and just made a few very simple bowls. I quite like 'em but open to critique.

P6060031.jpg

P6060030.jpg

To me the upper surface look incomplete. It's neither natural (like the waney edges) nor finished (like the bowl).

I'd go for a carved or textured surface, with either a gouge or a heavily cambered plane blade. You still get the texture contrast, but the piece would look (at least to me eye) more completed and intentional.

Edit: (googly)

Something along these lines, (only smaller scale)

IMG_1891.JPG

BugBear

bugbear":3uylnlma said:
To me the upper surface look incomplete. It's neither natural (like the waney edges) nor finished (like the bowl).

I'd go for a carved or textured surface, with either a gouge or a heavily cambered plane blade. You still get the texture contrast, but the piece would look (at least to me eye) more completed and intentional.

Edit: (googly)

Something along these lines, (only smaller scale)

IMG_1891.JPG

BugBear

I always had assumed that finish was created by an adze. The picture proves otherwise!

The upper surface was just left rough sawn as it wouldn't be possible to have a waney edge on two edges. The whole point behind it was to leave it as rough hewn as possible all bar the bowl part but I take on board what you are saying. The next one will have something along the lines of what you have suggested although with this weather at the moment I won't be locking myself away in the garage for a while yet lol
Thanks

Back