Scrap metal

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lons

Established Member
Reaction score
I save everything! - well almost :oops: including all the old bits of copper, lead, brass etc. which I chuck into their respective bags.

I took 2 bags of copper and 1 brass to the scrapyard today and came away with almost £200 :shock:

It's certainly silenced my wife who viewed it as as just so much rubbish :wink: Only downside is that I think she may have ideas on how to spend it :roll:
Should've kept quiet methinks #-o

Bob

mark aspin":1zkb2phv said:
WOW!

How big were the bags?

Small enough to lift easily :lol: :lol:

Actually had a total of 28kg of copper bits and 35kg of mixed brass. Was several years accumulation of pipe and wire offcuts, old taps and door handles etc.

It was still at least twice what I thought I'd get though I hadn't checked prices #-o Might have been swizzed and got more (hammer)

Bob

Don't forget to put the money through your books as it's classed as income! :lol:
I have 4 bags of copper and a copper cylinder in the back of my van at the mo. Hopefully prices still high when I cash them in.

About a year ago I took an old shower mixer bar and some taps to a local scrap dealer and was paid £2.50 per kilo even with the chrome plating, plastic bits etc. Mixed copper would pay £3.50 per kilo, ali 60p and lead 80p. My stash wasn't into three figures (only just into two!) but they didn't seem to mind dealing with my little carrier bag, rather than a whole skipful.

It never ceases to amaze me how much scrap is worth..... but at the other end of it, I never believe how much sheets of new copper/brass cost!

Even scrap steel is worth saving if you have space.

Took in a bucket of old bolts, couple of old motors and a washing machine (minus concrete) and got £18.
The biggest bonus, is the scrap yard is 15 mins closer than the local tip!

I'm in the process of dismantling a metal Yarmaster 3m x 4m shed. Not much (if any) decent metal but the local travelling community are coming round tomorrow to relieve me of it. It has to be the single worst purchase I've ever made.

Hope they show up or I'll need a bigger skip.

Roy

tsb":1qmjmpuq said:
Don't forget to put the money through your books as it's classed as income! :lol:
I have 4 bags of copper and a copper cylinder in the back of my van at the mo. Hopefully prices still high when I cash them in.

What income? Most of it came from my own renovations / extension along with unpaid bathrooms / kitchens for my kids (I ended up part funding as you do) :roll:

Hope you don't leave the scrap in your van overnight unless it's locked in a garage. My next door neighbour is a D.I. and he told me recently that vans are currently not only being targeted for tools but also for copper pipe and scrap of all kinds.

Bob

Back