Scrabble tabble

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That would sell for A LOT of money in an artisan shop. Absolutely brilliant work! Congratulations indeed.
Actually I am thinking of doing some more and trying to sell them ... But I'd have to upgrade my skill and craftsmanship level I think. Many people have posted kind words on this thread but they don't see my cockups and bodges!

My Scrabble game was called 'Travel Scrabble' and had tiles with a small peg at each corner. The tiles fitted on a grid of holes on the board. Your table wouldook st home on a cruise liner where it would be ideal for usr in rough weather. Would Mal De Mare be a permitted word?

Lovely work and a sound idea
If my Lady was still at home she would love one! I don't think I could come up with the goods.

It is a great table with the offset foot and the rotating top. The design is clever and it looks great. I dont know If I could live with the dowels poking up as I would want to use it as a table when not playing. Thats just my take however. A great piece of work. I made a 3 player cribbage board and my eyes were spinning before the drilling was done and nowhere near as many holes as that either. I can see some hard graft went into that.
Regards
John

@Orraloon / John, yes I actually have plans to make a very thin tray/lid that goes over the top. I have a design in mind where you'd be able to pick the board up (Ie, exc the table) with the lid on and flip it upside down to take the tiles off the board, and the lid would then act as a tile tray. The other side of the lid, the side you see when it's covering the board, could be a marquetry chess or backgammon board ... I've bought some veneers to do this but I need to learn veneering and marquetry!

Actually I am thinking of doing some more and trying to sell them ... But I'd have to upgrade my skill and craftsmanship level I think. Many people have posted kind words on this thread but they don't see my cockups and bodges!

We all see the cock ups and bodges in our pieces way more than anyone else does.

@Orraloon / John, yes I actually have plans to make a very thin tray/lid that goes over the top. I have a design in mind where you'd be able to pick the board up (Ie, exc the table) with the lid on and flip it upside down to take the tiles off the board, and the lid would then act as a tile tray. The other side of the lid, the side you see when it's covering the board, could be a marquetry chess or backgammon board ... I've bought some veneers to do this but I need to learn veneering and marquetry!
Finally got round to making that lid for my Scrabble table. One side is marquetry non-traditional chess board (first attempt at marquetry) and the other is a tray for Scrabble tiles. You can use it to cover up a Scrabble game in progress, just to be able to use the table for drinks, even if you don't want to play chess.

IMG_20210615_162517_130.jpg
IMG_20210615_162517_212.jpg
IMG_20210615_162517_274.jpg
IMG_20210615_162517_306.jpg

The main panel is 3mm poplar veneered with red-coloured tulip wood on one side and on the other a burry/burly walnut veneer into which I've set dark oak and sycamore circles.

My dad was blind and a braille reader. He played Scrabble on a ridged board with plastic moulding over card. I think this would have been really effective for him .
Really innovative work and a stunning result.

My dad was blind and a braille reader. He played Scrabble on a ridged board with plastic moulding over card. I think this would have been really effective for him .
Really innovative work and a stunning result.
That all sets me thinking: would be quite easy to modify the little pegs on the board to encode the power squares; but as regards letter tiles, could your dad read them by feel, or did he need to have Braille on them?

That all sets me thinking: would be quite easy to modify the little pegs on the board to encode the power squares; but as regards letter tiles, could your dad read them by feel, or did he need to have Braille on them?
Wouldn't take much to produce a 6 cell template, holes drilled for each cell, then punch through for a tile. If not tactile a drop of 'glue' from a hot glue gun leaves a tactile 'blob'?

Wouldn't take much to produce a 6 cell template, holes drilled for each cell, then punch through for a tile. If not tactile a drop of 'glue' from a hot glue gun leaves a tactile 'blob'?
Yes but I think you'd want to make bespoke tiles so that Braille didn't make them lie slightly askew upside down in the tray; and to be robust enough to cope with being shaken around in the bag.

Robust? Yes. Braille 'rise' above paper is minimal. Lay flat? Not sure why, but if needed extra 'bumps' could be added (say in corner) to confuse.
I doubt even experts could determine a letter by the offset from horizontal?

My dad used braille Scrabble tiles which were readily available through the RNIB and other sources. As are full braille sets.
There are various ways of doing braille by hand on plastic sheet, self adhesive tape or card. I've done some on thin copper sheet before now, using a braille frame and stylus like the one linked below, but experimentation was needed to raise a dot rather than punch through.
Takes me back to the days when half the house was covered with braille labels and adapted games, device etc.

Robust? Yes. Braille 'rise' above paper is minimal. Lay flat? Not sure why, but if needed extra 'bumps' could be added (say in corner) to confuse.
I doubt even experts could determine a letter by the offset from horizontal?
Ready bought Braille tiles would be fine. I like the look of the old 1950s and 60s tiles and that's what I use myself. But if I were to make Braille tiles myself I was thinking I'd probably want to use tiny dowels---or at least I didn't quite see a different way of doing it that would look the way I want it...

Ready bought Braille tiles would be fine. I like the look of the old 1950s and 60s tiles and that's what I use myself. But if I were to make Braille tiles myself I was thinking I'd probably want to use tiny dowels---or at least I didn't quite see a different way of doing it that would look the way I want it...
I used small dome headed copper rivets, cut short, to make a few items with braille symbols on wood. Just pre-drill and insert, that worked and looked attractive.

I used small dome headed copper rivets, cut short, to make a few items with braille symbols on wood. Just pre-drill and insert, that worked and looked attractive.
Yes, that's great advice thanks. Shopped around a bit and found 1/32" shaft brass round rivets. Didn't say how big the dome was but guessing 1/16", say 1.5-2mm, would allow Braille letter to be say 6x10mm and (if I made letter tiles) I could put one rivet at each corner if I was bothered about lying flat. Or I could double the size and have a big Braille letter covering the whole tile (if I made my own tiles I was thinking of filling engraved letter with black coloured epoxy, so tile would feel flat)

Latest posts

Back