ScottishTurners Woodturnings :)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey new to the forum so thought i would start this off by saying hi and a bit about myself, im a student in glasgow but parents have lathe up north in moray so can only do wood turning on breaks from Uni, Started turning at beginning of this year so will upload some photos of my work for opinions :)

Welcome to the forum Graham, always open to see what others are producing.

Good to see more forum-ites from the chilly north (actually been the warmest place in the UK the last couple of days). Lhanbryde to Glasgow is one heck of a commute - especially along the Scottish killing fields of the A96.

Ok so now ive hit the minimum post number here is some of my stuff

A cherry? wood natural edge box with driftwood lid:

First ever Bowl from burr elm and another two from spalted elm:

My First oak platter and oak Bowl:

Two Olive ash Bowls:

Three Silver Birch Bowls:

Walnut paper weight:

London Plane clock:

Spinning tops and light pulls:

Experimental piece using rotten apple wood i like how this one turned out:

Hi Graham,

Good to see another Scotsman joining up. :)

Some nice pieces posted there.

Wood sourcing around these parts isn't majorly difficult.
If you're ever down in Ayr, there's Just Wood (http://www.just-wood.co.uk/). Charlie will kep you right with what you need for what you want.
Then there's all the stuff all over the place that's been blown down lately - I'm sure Glasgow/Moray have had the same problems with wind as we've had in deepest darkest South Ayrshire.

In Glasgow there's also Reid Timber (http://www.spanglefish.com/woodcarving-scotland/)

Hope this helps.

Look forward to seeing more of your work.

Cheers Diesel and everyoneelse for the kind comments here is some more stuff I have done :) Yeah the burr elm is lovely got a blank of heavily burred elm im gonna give a shot :)

Walnut Tipper:

Purple Heart Box:

Spalted Elm Pedastel Bowl with Driftwood Fineal:

Unknown Wood natural edge Bowl (help to id this would be appreciated :) ) :

Spalted Beech Mushroom:

Also My competition entries came second and third! :D and i won best novice in entire show :)

Also who is charley?

ST
Some lovely turning there - well done.
As for free wood - just take a stroll round the parks and along roadsides - OK so you may need to turn green and / or wait for it to dry, but you can find masses that way.
Christmas Eve a massive beech came down in my local park, so I did my bit for the community and cleared a pathway for pedestrians and saved the Council some of the tree surgery expense - I see it as my own little way of giving :lol:
Greg

Back