Scottish woodworking show

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Excellent..wondered when this was coming up again!
I'll be there!

Mark.

It's definitely on my list, a quick run up the 74 would do me the power of good (still going stir crazy on the sick).

:lol: :lol:

Drew

Drew, to be honest its easier going on the train from Newcastle Central to Glasgow Central. Its usually around £18 return if you purchase the tickets about two weeks before hand. At Glasgow Central your only about a 10min taxi ride away from the SECC and thats about £3.00. So its not really worth the hassle of driving up the motorway, believe me I used to do it on a weekly basis. Now if I go to Glasgow I go on the train, its more a shopping day than a work related thing now-a-days though!

Say 'howdy' to the guys from the Saw Centre if they're there, nice chappies.

SimonA

Thanks for the advice SimonA. But the reason I'm thinking of driving is killing two birds with one stone and going up on the Thursday to visit relations and do some genealogy then into the SECC on the Friday. Otherwise I would have done exactly as you suggested :lol:

All the best

Drew :wink:

hi drew
so your likely to be the friday. i will also be there on the 19th .

ANY ONE ELSE VISITING ON THE FRIDAY

Dave W

Hi Dave W

sorry I'm so tardy in replying. Yup definitely Friday, I'm loking forward to it. Just look for a fat bearded guy with a pronounced limp (damn those **!*** insects)and thats me.

Drew :lol:

hi drew
snap!!! fat bearded guy likly to have red fleece jacket on
if i dont see you have a good visit

Dave W

By some strange quirk of fate I'll be in Glasgow at the end of the week.....
I have absolutley no distinguishing features and have no idea what I'll be wearing. So I shall be looking over my shoulder for bearded blokes of a certain shape...
I'll be there Friday if all goes to plan (ie if I can find the place). Suppose I could look up the SECC site for an idea. If you want to meet up let me know before Thurs morning.

Rgds

Noel

troble is , at lot of fat blokes with beards ?
ok im ginger bearded (and what hair is left) with a london accent
Dave W

OK Dave, I'll keep an eye out for you although I'm a bit dubious about meeting blokes through the net.....
Should be there Friday, 11.00 onwards.

Rgds

Noel

PS And Drew too.

Well guys
I hope you got there ok and the snow didn't bother you. I was slightly hampered by the fact that my leg was playing up and I had to use crutches. It didn't make for the easiest way of going through the crowds.
I have to say I was a bit disappointed that with all the halls available in the SECC the show was a bit cramped in the hall it was in. Lots of good stuff on view and plenty of money changing hands, so hopefully the next show will be bigger and better. If you were there to buy and not like me just looking :cry: (at the moment), then there were bargains available from most of the machinery stands. (thon new bosch table saw with the cast top looks a real beast I had to move away from the stand my crutches were slipping in the drool).
There were more men standing round salivating round the sheppach and fox stands and by the looks of it if a lady godiva had ridden through the show most of them would have said thats nice, complained about the horse crowding them and gone back to lusting after the tools. :lol:

all the best

Drew

Hi Drew

Sounds as though you enjoyed the show. Sorry about the crutches.

Drew":2hw2agsj said:
thon new bosch table saw with the cast top looks a real beast I had to move away from the stand my crutches were slipping in the drool

Forgive me for questioning you, but was it a Bosch Cast Iron tablesaw?

I haven't heard of this one before.

Thanks
Neil

hi folks
i attended the show and was fairly impressed with the attendance. sorry to hear you had to resort to crutches Drew. the snow was falling very heavily when i left livingston to head to glasgow but thankfully cleared to light rain buy the time i arrived.
i've ben eying up band saws, had a good chat with chaps on jet stand (almost tempted to return today to see if they would do a deal on show machine rather than ship it back down south) swmbo pointed out the outstanding visa balance !!!! SO!
any way bandsaws on record stand, new machines look good ,the mobile base on bs350 (i think) was so easy to use and rock steady when released. it appears that they have taken the roller guide design from the startrite m/c and created a simlar set up on the new m/c it also has rack for raising & lowering fence. when asked about a m/c with slightly larger cutting height the rep just grinned and winked say no more. perhaps theres something to look foward to .
as with the show last year there was no shortage of money changing hands.
well last of all there were to many bearded fat blokes to second guess who might have been Drew.
Dave W

any body out there got an EB BS500 or 505 im interested in your views on the machine. (wasn't one at the show to look at)

Hi Neil

no probs about you questioning me, I'm just sorry I can't remember the machine number to give you. But yes I'm pretty sure it did have a cast top (it looked like cast iron) and looked as if it was built for hardwork, the price was something like £499. You'll have to forgive me but by the time I saw it I was absolutely knackered, I couldn't even be bothered to ask for a catalogue or details all I wanted to do by that time was to get back to the car. In hindsight I wish I had got details because I would like to know myself.

all the best

Drew

damn shame that. For the price it should be cast iron, as I said it really did have the look of cast iron.
Sorry for the duff gen :oops:

Drew

Back