Scottish woodworking show

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I actually made it to the show on the Friday morning for a couple of hours. Despite furitive over the shoulder looks failed to see any redbeards (sorry to hear about the crutches).
Was well impressed, good range of stands, a few manufacturers and distributors, plenty of retailers as well as the usual pound stretcher stalls (Proops & Co etc).
Agree that it could've been in a larger hall, so let's hope for next year.
Compared to Ally Pally it was twice as good and twice as well presented and maybe 10 times as well attended. Bit like the last Woodcut show at Wembley if anybody was at that.
A few highlights, for me anyway - having a go on the Jet jointer (can't wait...), watching a guy carve out the seat of a chair that he was building using an adaze (help me here Alf) which I'd never seen before, usual playing around with the Festool stuff (about the 4th time I've met Tom, the demo guy, and still not bought anything), tyre kicking the Startrite bandsaws (only £1,400), the Jean Burhouse stand (interesting in the absence of Brimarc) and the usual asking of lots of silly questions to various people in the quest of trying to expand my limited knowledge of WW. Oh, and there were actually a few bargains. Picked up a few 4" bits and pieces for the vac system, a brass template guide set from the Freud stand, my first set of scrapers and a burnisher and very impressed with initial results too, headless pinner and 50k pins (should last a wee while) and few other odds and sods as well as plenty of the usual brochures.
There was plenty of interest for most people, even Mr Grumpty was there with his router powered thing....
All in all most enjoyable. Just waiting to see what I've won in the admission ticket raffle.

Rgds

Noel

Philly,

Forgot to mention that Mr Jet said that there will a micro adjust add on for the jointers coming out very soon.

Rgds

Noel

Alf,

Got the spelling wrong and the tool wrong. It was used like a spokeshave only more agricultural looking. About 12 - 14" wide, with 2 handles and a curved blade to carve out the seat bit. A draw(?) something or other?

Rgds

Noel

Spot on! A drawknife. Just found it rather interesting.

Rgds

Noel

Using a drawknife's good fun. Heaps more entertaining doing a chamfer than using a router - in more ways than one :wink:

Cheers, Alf

Back