Scottish Woodworking Exhibition

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drew

Established Member
Reaction score
I turned up at the SECC on Friday and was really looking forward to the show. But I was a little disappointed, there seemed to be fewer exhibitors than last year. There were plenty of folk buzzing about despite the bad weather and in the inside of the hall it felt as if someone had cranked the thermostat up. The busiest and largest stalls were the two selling the el cheapo gear. All in all I came away with the feeling that the six hour round trip wasn't worth it. Possibly it was me building it up in my mind with great expectations but the next show I visit will be the next Birmingham show.
Having said that I still managed to spend fifty quid on some small gear :oops:

Drew

I was there on Saturday and really enjoyed it but I am pretty new to all this and haven't anything to compare it with. I thought there were some pretty interesting new products out there that I have never seen before. The Organoil (slightly unfortunate name, I can't help feeling) stand, Clifton planes, huge book stand and plenty of heavy duty tools to drool over. The 2 market stall type dealers flogging cheap stuff were doing a roaring trade right enough but there was quality stuff there too.
Rather too much emphasis on turning for my particular taste but I did get a nice Ashley Isles carving chisel and other small stuff and got plenty of ideas for my next big purchase and where to get it. Which is the best woodworking show for you and how does it compare? I'd like to have seen more of other people's work on show esp cabinetmaker's, maybe they should do a prize ??

KeithG":3ayasj0l said:
Which is the best woodworking show for you and how does it compare? I'd like to have seen more of other people's work on show esp cabinetmaker's, maybe they should do a prize ??
This sounds like a man who needs to be in Devon in November. :D Bit of a way to travel for you though. :(

Cheers, Alf

Bought the Tormek with the cabinet makers kit - all which I wanted. Then I saw the Dewalt 625EK router, which I could'nt leave without.
Have had the router before, until my garage got broken into last year, so I knew that it was a good tool, but the Tormek is so impressive at doing a mundane job.
If money was no object I'd have bought a woodrat as well.

Keith

I noticed that about the turners, there were quite a few demonstrations of turning and then other stalls selling stuff to do with turning. The stalls selling the big stuff could have you salivating in seconds, but didn't you find it all a bit samey. There seemed to be nothing that really jumped out and grabbed me by the wallet screaming buy me (not like last time when I could have given a church mouse lessons on being skint). :lol: Either that or I'm becoming blase or god help me immune to temptations of the machine kind.

Drew

Back