Scots.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Digit

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm uncertain as to whether the Mods will consider this as 'politics' or not, if they do they can always scrub it, but does the 'English' parliament really have the right to tell the Scots what they may or may not do?
Frankly I'm with Salmond, tell Westminster to mind their own business.

Roy.

I think if they want independence then they should have it. But all current subsidy then becomes null and they become self supporting, as they want.

This is coming from a man whose mother is Scots and lived there until I was 10 years old.

Cheers
Mark

Can of worms?

haggis-with-can-5-29-209.jpg

Are we not allowed to discuss politics here?

Other than through such as the IMF all subsidies would cease, unless some form of treaty was arranged.

Roy.

I'm wondering about doing a runner to Scotland before it's too late and they shut the borders. :shock:
How many tory mps have they got? I know they've got more Pandas, which is a mark of civilisation IMHO.
Or is it penguins? Same difference.

Joke if you wish Jacob, but the borders could be closed, as for Pandas being a sign of civilisation the Chinese government still imprisons dissidents. In China Salmond would be in a labour camp.

Roy.

I think if Scotland are financially independent, then yup, it's entirely their own affair. Although as with all this devolution/independence stuff, I can't help feeling it'd be nice if the English could have a say, just for once. Can we declare independence from Scotland? Or Wales? Or - oh please God - Cornwall. Then maybe I could be kicked out of here as an unwanted immigrant and get back to blessed civilisation. [-o<

For years the Québécois kept shouting for independence and threatening to go it alone till eventually they were told to go ahead. Been very quiet lately.
Salmond wants 3 choices on the ballot sheet, yes to independence, no, and maximum devolution, which I think many English will see as wanting their cake as well as eating it.
DC says it must be yes or no.
But for a few die hards the canny Scots will vote no if there are only the two choices.

Roy.

Digit":1tyy2q73 said:
Joke if you wish Jacob, but the borders could be closed, as for Pandas being a sign of civilisation...
Roy.
Not so much the presence of pandas, more the relative absence of tory mps. :lol:

So you are now living in an uncivilised country then Jacob. So you know what to do don't you?

Roy.

I think its kind of interesting in a non political factual way.
1) The English--Scots union is a two way deal. Yet the small nasty man seems to think its only one way.
2) We should stop supporting them via all the English cash we donate to Scots whims
3) The English should charge the Scots for all services produced at about 125% of real value
4) If the Scots leave England they will have to apply for their own EU membership and to join the Euro
5) All Scots would immediately become "aliens" and need to be repatriated
6) The English should build border controls at each and every border crossing point.

I'm afraid I see Alex Salmond's utterances as the same demented pap all politico's spew forth. Not a word about growth, seeking more employment, lower taxes, less government etc etc.

Al

Digit":c0apzqlv said:
but does the 'English' parliament really have the right to tell the Scots what they may or may not do?
There is no "English" parliament, it's British, with MPs from Scotland, Northern Ireland, Wales and England.
This British parliament does have the right to tell it's inhabitants (even the Scots) what to do (or not), IMHO.

Surely any independence vote for Scotland (or Cornwall or anywhere else in the UK) should be UK-wide as it affects the whole UK?

Which is why of course I wrote English as 'English' Pete.
There's more to it than that as well Al.
There is no guarantee that Scotland would apply for EU membership. If Scotland becomes independent she would obtain 'new nation' status, from there she would have to apply, should she want menbership, to the EU, NATO, IMF, UN International Criminal Court, the Commonwealth, Interpol, negoiate trade agreements etc and open embassies in those countries that recognised her.
All that plus issuing her own stamps, passports, driver's licenses, TV licences etc etc etc plus setting up the necessary infrastructure to support all this.
If she didn't join the EU then controls of some kind, unless otherwise negotiated, would have to be set up at the border.

Roy.

Digit":3u9knb6l said:
Which is why of course I wrote English as 'English' Pete.
There's more to it than that as well Al.
There is no guarantee that Scotland would apply for EU membership. If Scotland becomes independent she would obtain 'new nation' status, from there she would have to apply, should she want menbership, to the EU, NATO, IMF, UN International Criminal Court, the Commonwealth, Interpol, negoiate trade agreements etc and open embassies in those countries that recognised her.
All that plus issuing her own stamps, passports, driver's licenses, TV licences etc etc etc plus setting up the necessary infrastructure to support all this.
If she didn't join the EU then controls of some kind, unless otherwise negotiated, would have to be set up at the border.

Roy.

On that token what was left would have to reapply at the same time then. But this would be after everything is shared out per capita including debt per population count. So taking it that we are are better together when it is divided as Cameron and Milliband state, will what is left be in any position to be active members of NATO, etc as there revenue will decrease accordingly.

So welcome similar status as Belgium for what is left of UK after any independence and is that a bad thing in no involvement in needless wars or involvement in any country we have no need to be. As for nuclear spend where is that money or investment going to come from so Salmond is realistic we cannot spend what we do not have. Or who would want to invade after the split.

Historically neither Scotland, Ireland nor Wales had a great deal of choice in becoming a 'United Kingdom,' all 3 are a different people with their own language, culture and history, as such they should govern themselves IMO.

Roy.

Back