Scotch Glue

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deserter

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm wanting to start using scotch glue more frequently but as I'm only practicing I don't want to splash out on a glue pot just yet. I've read on various sites where people have used bottle earners, rice cookers and slow coolers to do the job, and was wondering if anyone has any experience of either.

Little do many people realise just how good scotch glue is! As far as I know, nobody has yet come up with anything modern that can equal its excellent thermoplastic and reversability properties.

Unless of course, anybody knows different :-k

Before acquiring a cast iron glue pot at a car boot sale, I used a Pyrex bowl sitting in a saucepan of water - the same as one uses as a bain marie in cooking. This worked alright, though a proper glue pot is better. In either case, I use a portable electric hotplate as a heat source.

I'd rather like one of those electric glue pots, but consider that for what they are, the price (£200 + ) is extortionate.

cast iron pan set bought from charity shop small pan inside big pan works for me as long as i keep an eye on it so temperature dont get too high
all the best
rob

deserter":2024mkux said:
Hi all,
I'm wanting to start using scotch glue more frequently but as I'm only practicing I don't want to splash out on a glue pot just yet. I've read on various sites where people have used bottle earners, rice cookers and slow coolers to do the job, and was wondering if anyone has any experience of either.

Tin cans these days are much easier to clean out than they used to be, and modern can-openers take the lid out clean..

Get a half-size tin of Heinz beans. Eat the beans. On toast if you wish! :mrgreen:

Fit a bent-wire handle to the tin, and put the tin and your glue in a saucepan of water. Voila; one glue pot to see you through. If you want to be fussy, make a wire trivet, to put under the tin. (Old coat-hangers are good)

This might even be better. Asda?

http://www.spurlocktools.com/id57.htm

HTH
John :)

Sorry about the edits... Ruddy Google Chrome's spell check doesn't work!

No skills":3fg35t7p said:
I've seen a tool cabinet build thread on here where someone was using a baby bottle warmer for their glue warming.

Maybe Corset's impressive project in this thread

IMG_0653-Copy.jpg

though he said he'd seen it somewhere else on here.

another idea is an iron which will allow you to adjust the temperature, and is useful for other workshop tasks.

Something like a double-boler will do...article here http://www.buzzle.com/articles/double-b ... itute.html

Plus you must get one of these...
Double_Electric_Hot_Plate_TLD06_E.jpg
. One plate for your double-boiler with glue and the other plate for your saucepan with hot water into which you keep your veneering hammer and old chisel.

Lastly if you want some professional training on using this glue (which is brilliant BTW) then I can wholeheartedly recommend the Veneering course run by John LLoyd.

I am not sure whether you have sourced your glue yet, but http://www.sheppy.ltd.uk/adhesives/scotch.htm seems to be as competitive as anywhere, much more so if you buy a large amount. IF you want to split a pack, I would be willing to do so- even with a bit more postage on, it works out a lot cheaper per kilogram. PM me if interested

I use a bottle warmer deserter, have done for some years, cost me the princely sum of a quid! Now considered old fashioned of course, but in the appropriate circumstances it's great stuff.
Ckeck the charity shops etc.

Roy.

Latest posts

Back