Scones

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lurker

Le dullard de la commune
Reaction score
I have not baked since I was 13 at school.
I am now “slightly” older :lol:
Her majesty is a great cook so I have no need.

Not sure why, but I decided to have a go, I mean how hard can it be?
Used the National trust recipe, the mix ended up a bit sloppy. But my philosophy is it’s not a fault but a design opportunity, I threw in some more self raising .

Results were visually poor and a bit too sweet, but otherwise ok.
The flaff was worth the look on her majesty’s face when she got home, not often she is lost for words :D

Will have a few more goes, until I get it right.

Then.......cheese scones (hammer) (hammer)

Woah there, who cares about how they turned out, what is is important is how you pronounce scone!

After that argument we can start on jam or cream first. lol

Rorschach":20ql3jyc said:
Woah there, who cares about how they turned out, what is is important is how you pronounce scone!

It's pronounced "scone".

Geoff_S":2lehkhvg said:
Rorschach":2lehkhvg said:

It's pronounced "scone".

You fool, it's obviously pronounced "scone"!

If you've the same N.T. recipe book as I have some of the recipes are on the sweet side - the Cornish splits are too sweet as well.
Jam before cream, otherwise the cream melts if the scones are warm. Cream teas in Cornwall should be splits not scones, anyway.

A scone is one of those things that like, a scotch pancake or drop scone, benefits from a mix on the dry side and as little mixing as possible to incorporate wet into dry. Too wet, or excess mixing, and the scone will spread out or bake to a tough finish.

Fitz.

Fitzroy":3bsgy5us said:
A scone is one of those things that like, a scotch pancake or drop scone, benefits from a mix on the dry side and as little mixing as possible to incorporate wet into dry. Too wet, or excess mixing, and the scone will spread out or bake to a tough finish.

Fitz.

I have already realised quantities need modifications as you proceed, it’s not like a cutting list is it?
I have to be careful mixing cement otherwise it ends up too sloppy.

It's pronounced "skon". Glad I was able to settle that for you.

Now, as to the recipe.........buttermilk is the magic ingredient. If it doesn't have buttermilk they'll be OK today but nearly inedible tomorrow. If it does have buttermilk, you'll eat them all today anyway.

Cream first because if it's proper thick Devon cream rather than runny Cornish muck then you can't spread it if you put jam on first.

The secret I have always found is to sift the flour well. Air, that is the magic ingredient. It is difficult with SR flour, as it goes everywhere. Do it outside if the weather is nice.
Not done any for ages, must remedy that.

Being as we both love baked products so much, we dont actually home bake much nowadays (the belt has no more holes in it).
But 'er indoors came home with 4 shop bought scones (thats cones, with an S at the front). I thought I'd be nice and cut them and serve them. I go to the fridge for the butter (cream also makes belts shrink). then the magic words, "wheres the jam".
you know what that woman replied?
"Oh, I didnt buy any".
The divorce application is in the post.

The wife makes a good cheese scone with chilli powder for a bit of a kick.

Pete

Back