Schools and snow

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never quite understood the panic buying - it's not as if it's going to run out. I suppose I'd better go shopping tonight as there's not actually much in the fridge, but hey if it's too dangerous on the roads to take the kids to school then surely it's too dangerous to go to the super market.
How parents manage when both of them need to go out to work is beyond me - one of the perks of working from home I suppose is I don't really need to worry about it.
In Weston the buses are running so I can see no reason at all why the schools should be shut.
I live 3 miles from the school my kids go to. If the roads were unusable I'd not think twice about dressing them up nice and warm and walking them to school - ok, it'd take a while but so what.
It made me laugh last night watching the news. One school (somewhere in yorks I think) had opened but their H&S rules wouldn't allow the kids out to play in the snow - wtf what a joke.
Apparently they're going to make a decision later this afternoon as to whether the schools will be open tomorrow.

Couldn't get through Stamford yesterday afternoon for the mothers picking up their darlings from the posh school - all in their expensive cars....... Would do most kids a power of good to walk a couple of miles to/from school - even in an inch of snow - all we have here so far.

promhandicam":2efhkmdj said:
greggy":2efhkmdj said:
. . . WHY ON EARTH DOES THIS USELESS COUNTRY COME TO A STANDSTILL.
Go and live in a developing country for a few months - you might then appreciate that the UK isn't quite so useless.

Steve

i have done.

We just aren't used to it in this country these days, and no one is prepared for it. I lived in Switzerland for 5 years, everyone has their winter gear, everyone has chains for their vehicles, everyone is used to driving in heavy snow, and more importantly, they have a good public transport system which is prioritised for snow access (ie routes cleared) and most people will live within reach of a bus stop, thus able to get to work, school and supermarkets.

People forget that although we've had a bad fall of snow now and early last year, for the 10 years or so before that we had not very much at all, maybe a thick frost, and that was it. And frankly, in this country, it's not my having to use my car in this weather that worries me, it's knowing that there will be idiots out on these roads, driving faster than they should without due care and attention. I'll have to get out the house tomorrow (glad I had thurs and fri booked as holiday anyway so I only missed one day of work this week) as we'll be out of milk and bread otherwise, hopefully by then most people will either have made it into work and I'll have some empty roads during the day :)

OPJ":3vio1x1p said:
I'd assume they're just trying to keep cars off the roads and be cautious. I can see how it must be right PITA though if you're a parent.

the other thing at least in rural areas is that the school busses cant run - especially up and down minor roads - thus the schools find themselves in a catch 22 - if they close they are criticised for inconveniancing some parents - if they stay open they are criticised for inconvencing others and or making their kids miss essential lessons.

Smudger":28ptndbj said:
greggy":28ptndbj said:
when we get a dusting of snow.. WHY ON EARTH DOES THIS USELESS COUNTRY COME TO A STANDSTILL.

Hmm. -15ºC in Manchester, 12" of snow...
More than a 'dusting' I think.

6 inches here with more forecast tonight, and arround 10 at the office - somewhat more than a dusting indeed

I'm experienced in driving on slippery stuff as a result of my job but what would be the point of my taking 2 plus hours to get to the office to find that virtually no one else is in when i have phone and email access at home ?

thats not panicing , just common sense

From the school website
School resumed Today (Thursday) after our enforced break.

Due to the extremely cold temperatures forecast for tonight the Parents Evening for Year 7 tonight has been cancelled. I regret the late notice for this but I think many parents travelling from further afield would struggle to get in to school as would many teachers to get home. For an important first review such as this a 100% attendance of teachers, parents and pupils is vital.

The weather forecast is for continued extreme conditions for at least the next week. In the light of this the Year 7 Parents Evening on Tuesday 12 th January will also not take place.

The site staff have been working very hard to clear the snow but snow remains throughout the playgrounds and other areas. Everyone is reminded to be very sensible when moving from building to building. Keep to the pathways which have been created in the snow and which have been thoroughly gritted to avoid accidents.

If you come to school by car, you should not venture onto Marlborough Road or Heath Road but ask your parents to drop you off at a safe and convenient point on one of the main roads - Marlborough Road is treacherous. You should then walk to the Marlborough Road entrances because the Heath Road entrance will not be open in the morning.
[/i]
The staff car park is snowed up. the road is an ice track with cars and lorries slipping all over. My classes have been down by a min of 15%. Only 60% of my form turned up, they are used to driving to school. Of the 3 cars that were stuck on tuesday, 2 are iced in and physically stuck.
Oh well another day at school.

Stormsinger":3m37df5l said:
...... And frankly, in this country, it's not my having to use my car in this weather that worries me, it's knowing that there will be idiots out on these roads, driving faster than they should without due care and attention. .....

Spot on. Heard over the holiday period about 30+ cras being involved in one accident on the M42. OK - a few cars maybe but 30+. Just prats driving too fast and too close. Mind you, here in Malvern we get the opposite. Trilby man driving at 10 mph on a normal wet road...no slush...no ice...none for as far as you can see. Other side of the coin.

On a related topic, there is nothing so scary as sitting as a passenger on a jet at night being towed to the deicing station, watching the men clambering all over the wings with their deicer wands, the gallons sprayed from the overhead booms, blizzard conditions, nearly a white-out and you're thinking...in a couple of minutes we're going to be hammering down that runway. Miss? Miss? I want to get off.

At one time farmers were contracted to supplement the council snow clearing procedures, after a series of mild winters the councils simply dropped the scheme in many areas.
If you read the farm reports/blogs/forums you will find that many councils are now attempting to restart the schemes, but without supplies of salt/grit available at the farms don't expect quick results.
One blog I read the farmer stated that as soon as he had cleared sufficient for Mister Plod to reach they stopped him and threatened prosecution, 'for non agricultural use of red Diesel!'
The Customs and Inland Revenue have now dropped that bright idea!

Roy.

Yep! Then check the insurance requirements! Few farmers will bother I suspect. And without the gear and salt in place it's a bit late now.

Roy.

Well, 120 of them turned out in Hampshire...

http://www.farmersguardian.com/news/far ... 30.article

and another hundred helping clear the A3

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/hamp ... 444966.stm

and the Farmers' Guardian assures them that they are covered

http://www.farmersguardian.com/news/mac ... 49.article
In terms of insurance, insurer NFU Mutual says that under its tractor and commercial vehicle insurance, farmers are automatically covered for their vehicles used on snow clearing duties.

Ensure that you are covered for working on the roads, but also do beware that although using red diesel is legal for snow clearance, VOSA officials now run a points system and may take this opportunity to target farmers and contractors for defects on machinery so take this opportunity to check your lights, beacons and all glass before venturing out.

Not all farmers insure with the NFU and not all tractors are insured for road use, and Hampshire is one of the counties, along with North Yorks who learnt their lesson last year.
North Yorks has found it cheaper and more efficient to re institute the scheme and are in fact reducing their fleet of gritters as a result.
No sign of the scheme in use here at the moment, and as I pointed out it is now too late to try and deliver salt and grit to the farms.
One of the big problems locally is the use of snow ploughs, as they pass the end of a narrow lane the lane is blocked!
The case about red Diesel was last winter, the situation has since been clarified.

Roy.

No I didn't. The idea is no longer true, but you post as though it is.

Just trolling, I suspect. There's a lot of it about today.

Back