Scheppach TS2000 problem

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

archpa

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

The rise and fall mechanism on my Scheppach TS2000 tablesaw gets has progressively got stiffer over time. I'm worried that I'm may be straining the mechanism now. I don't always use an extractor (only a vacum cleaner anyway), and I was wondering if possibly wood dust is clogging it. I've taken off the cover plate, but not seen anything obvious.

Has anybody else had this problem?

Many thanks

Paul

Paul, you are on the right track. My son has the TS2500 and this is exactly (over time) what happened to his. I would investigate the saw dust idea further. You could ever try to turning the saw (carefully) over and take a look from underneath.
I suspect that in the end you will damage the mechanism if you do not sort it out.

I hope that you sort the problem out soon.

Regards

Woody

This happens on my kity on a regular basis, I just give the screw thread & trunion nut a spray with GT85 (WD40 will do) and all is well again.

Jason

Paul, does the blade not have its full amount of travel any more?

I have to clean out my ts2000 every so often as the blue covering on the front where the rise/fall readout is fills up with dust! I've always used it with the Scheppach dust extractor too and it still does it!. You can try taking the mesh off the bottom and giving it a good clean out, but if that fails then you'll have to take the top off.....its not a difficult job.

SimonA

And I thought it was just me.I have had trouble with my ts2000 from the word go.But before I slag it off I have to say that it is a delight to use in every other way.It cuts accurately.It is so easy to use and has been my best/worst machine ever.Now on with the slagging.Since I got it I read that it was pretty important to use extraction.So off I went and bought the scheppach extractor.This does not help much.The sawdust still piles up on top of a plate perforated with one inch holes.What is needed is a shaking device or no plate.The dust piles up on the right side of the machine,(the extraction point is on the left) and as stated gets into the rise and fall mechanism.I have tried suction,airlines,etc but nothing so far has helped.If you strip the machine down you soon find that it is one of the seven wonders of the world to do. IT IS A PIG! Sorry for that little outburst but after the third time I have not got into the rise and fall mechanism.It is so stiff that when you turn it up or down it moves the angle of the blade as well.Scheppach brag about this duplex system.Why?Anything that does more than one job is a compromise in my books.They also have the cheek to put in their blurb something about it being sawdust proof.Ve haf vays ov telling porkies.So what do we do?Well I have bought a Startrite ta255 off E-bay and with a bit of fettling and upgrading I think that should do it.When I get some spare cash I will take the Scheppach into the nearest repairers and let them sort it.Then, It's e-bay for the Sheppach i'm afraid.It would not have been so bad if I had not recently developed an unhealthy obsession with cast iron. (stops for a moment to stick another pin in the Philly effigy).I will just have to save up to buy a lottery ticket.And I was going to go mad this weekend and have a jelly.Anyway must fly,time for my medication.

Thanks, everyone for the useful replies.

Yes, SimonA, it is now limiting the full travel distance.

Sounds like it needs another cleanout. Do you think I should remove the grid at the bottom? Sounds like the dust is piling up and getting into the mechanism that way.

Paul

archpa":a3yiz66v said:
Do you think I should remove the grid at the bottom

That's what I did. The saw dust then piles underneath the machine so it's really easy to sweep/hoover up :D You'll still have to clean the machine out now and then but not as often.

Where I have been sticking the pins you should be squeaking as well. :lol:

Okay, so last night I turned it over, took off the perforated plate and cleaned out all the dust. It's certainly a lot better,and now travels the full range. I'm a little concerned that it's still stiffer than it should be and therefore worried about premature wear.
Can I lubricate it anywhere? I'm alittle hesitant to lubricate the wrong places with the wrong lubricant and end up with a worse sticky mess!

Can I use silicon spray? Where?

Thanks for the help so far - it's helped me, but raised another question: What's the Philly effigy?? :?

archpa":2gfvsos3 said:
Okay, so last night I turned it over, took off the perforated plate and cleaned out all the dust. It's certainly a lot better,and now travels the full range. I'm a little concerned that it's still stiffer than it should be and therefore worried about premature wear.
Can I lubricate it anywhere? I'm alittle hesitant to lubricate the wrong places with the wrong lubricant and end up with a worse sticky mess!

Can I use silicon spray? Where?

Thanks for the help so far - it's helped me, but raised another question: What's the Philly effigy?? :?

I was going to suggest you use ?? jelly after reading the above quote, BUT

archpa":3d20jc99 said:
I don't know, but evidently Harry's got it this week. Where's the list to sign up for my turn...? :-k :lol:

Cheers, Alf

P.S. I could have sworn Fred Dibner was recommending bananas as a lubricant the other day. :shock:

Hi folks, sorry I have come in late to this particular topic but can confirm that the problem with the rise and fall on a TS2000 is most probably due to sawdust accumulation.

I had this problem from a few months after purchasing the saw. I mentioned it to NMA at an exhibition and was advised to get a dust extractor.

After looking round and foolishly trying to find one extractor which would handle all my dust and chip extraction needs, I bought a Record extractor.

This seemed to improve the situation somewhat although I found that I had to turn the saw upside down, and spray a lot of WD40 or equivalent onto the mechanism to release the rise and fall.

Eventually, I became very annoyed with this aspect of the saw although I can't fault much else on it.

In desperation, I took it to NMA one morning (I work about 5 miles away from their place in Brighouse)and explained the problem.

After an hour or so with compressors and extractors (no WD40 etc) and with a huge pile of dust on the floor (talk about embarrassing!), the rise and fall was working as sweet as anything. Cost me £30 ish but I now know what the problem is and, more importantly, how to fix it.

I have now picked up a second hand compressor and use it regularly to blow the sawdust out of the mechanism. I also bought a 1 week old Sheppach dust extractor from NMA (whilst I was there - it had been used for one show and I got it at a very good price!). It's a lot better than the Record for the table saw and P/T. I use the Record with hand power tools these days.

Now the rise and fall problems have virtually disappeared. If the mechanism ever feels to be tightening up, a few seconds blow from the compressor and its free again.

Is wd40 suitable for lubricating the rise and fall mechanism in the saw?I would have thought that it would be easy for sawdust to stick to it. Anyone tried silicone spray? I have just purchased some graphite powder to try. I have also tipped my Scheppach upside down,blasted it with compressed air and used a vac but it still is stiff.

I prefer GT85 which is a teflon based spray that will dry leaving a coat of teflon and won't attract so much dust. You can get it from bike shops, Halfords or Screwfix( good for bike chains).

Jason

I also prefer GT85 to WD40 but the sawdust does stick to the GT85 too. I have recently bought some of the PTFE spray from Screwfix but have not tried it yet.

I think that lubrication actually makes the rise and fall worse on the TS2000. Sawdust sticks to it, builds up more rapidly than without the lubrication and is then harder to remove. A more effective solution seems to be to prevent the saw dust from building up too much in the first place but this does demand more maintenance than I would prefer or can remember to do! NMA suggested that the saw should be blown clear of sawdust and cleaned once a week.

NMA suggested that the saw should be blown clear of sawdust and cleaned once a week.which is fine but Scheppach advertise the damn thing as sawdust proof.

After cleaning it out from below - don't have a compressor, so just a paint brush and vacum cleaner, it's a lot better, but still stiff enough for me to worry about premature wearing of the mechanism. Anybody managed to clear it of dust properly without compressed air? Do I perhaps need to take the top off? Is this easy to do and replace? Any alignment issues if I do so?

Thanks guys - you're always so helpful.

Paul

Latest posts

Back