Scheppach Tiger 2500 wet grinder

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Digizz

Established Member
Reaction score
Well, I just received it.

First impressions:

Makes a loud 'grrrrr...grrrrr...grrrr' noise when on and turning - does the Tormek machine do this as well or is it quiet?

The grinding wheel (big and solid) and the polishing wheel move on the axle a bit, meaning the wheels oscillate slightly from side to side - not what I would have expected.

The water tray is made from metal rather than the plastic Tormek one - is this good? I would have thought it's a negative point due to possible rust and all???

Lack of video - I don't know how good/useful the Tormek video is - but at least they have one. The Scheppach manual is the standard photocopied and stapled pages in multi-languages. Haven't read it yet but the pictures look better presented than my HMS260ci manual (but that's not saying a lot!). Pretty skimpy though.

Angle jig is a simple metal (laser cut?) plate rather than the metal?/plastic Tormek one.

Anyone care to comment on how this might compare to the Tormek?

So far (and only after a few minutes experimentation), I'm not too impressed - maybe I expected too much? Of course the real test is in the grinding operation - not sure I'm going to do that until my initial worries are solved - otherwise it goes back ;)

Digizz":rplxmke1 said:
Makes a loud 'grrrrr...grrrrr...grrrr' noise when on and turning
Not called the Tiger for nothing then? :wink: Can't help on the comparisons with the Tormek I'm afraid, but if it helps the wheel on my "Mole" grinder oscillates too. Mind you, it did only cost me £3 IIRC... :?

Cheers, Alf

Admin: Moved to Tool Reviews

Dig,

Just a few brief comments:

I've the blue el cheapo Tormek and there is no slop on the two wheels and no grrring noise on start up. Whisper quiet. Providing the Tiger trough is made of the right metal or least finished with a coating suitable for the purpose wouldn't have thought there'd be a problem. The Tormek video is good but one or two viewings is sufficient. A decent manual is important and the Tormek ring bound book with lots of colour photographs is excellent.
Make up your mind time, I suspect....

Rgds

Noel

Anyone from NMA care to comment about these problems (especially the noise and oscillation of the wheels)?

I'm pretty sure I'll return it for a refund tomorrow and get the Tormek instead.

My Tormek is silent almost, don't forget to take the water carrier off each night, - don't leave the wheel standing in water.

Adam

Well thanks to the guys at NMA (Thanks John!), looks like it's a duff unit or it maybe got damaged in transit.

It really is good to get such excellent support from a company (NMA) :) :D

Back