Scheppach planner/thknesser problem

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gary james

Reaction score
Hi all can someone please give me a bit of advice my scheppach 260ci has started leaving a 1” ish deeper cut at the start and at the end of the board I can only describe it as a trough it’s not huge but it’s visually noticeable I’ve tried making sure timer is flat on bed before it gets pulled in by roller tried roller on outfeed supporting it it still does it I haven’t used it for a couple of years but I’m sure it never used to do this any suggestions apart from replacing it

Hi all can someone please give me a bit of advice my scheppach 260ci has started leaving a 1” ish deeper cut at the start and at the end of the board I can only describe it as a trough it’s not huge but it’s visually noticeable I’ve tried making sure timer is flat on bed before it gets pulled in by roller tried roller on outfeed supporting it it still does it I haven’t used it for a couple of years but I’m sure it never used to do this any suggestions apart from replacing it
I have a Scheppach 260 ( what a shame they no longer make them ) and its a great machine. I'm pretty sure you are describing 'snipe' - in other words the blades are set a tad too high. Resharpen the blades if they are dull and clean out the recess in the block. The manual will tell you to manually rotate the block to carry a lath about 6mm to the rear end but I always find that sets the blades too high. Simply put a lath on the outfeed table and manually rotate the block until it just 'kisses' the lath with no carry back. That will set the blades at the correct height with no snipe.

I think the blade "drag" should only be about 3mm maximum, well thats what I aim for. Should stop the snipe. I have the 2600 ci.

Ollie

Have a look at the feed rollers as well. The surface on the rollers had degraded quite a lot over time on my Dad's Sheppach thichnesser, which led to me replacing them.

I have a Scheppach 260 ( what a shame they no longer make them ) and its a great machine. I'm pretty sure you are describing 'snipe' - in other words the blades are set a tad too high. Resharpen the blades if they are dull and clean out the recess in the block. The manual will tell you to manually rotate the block to carry a lath about 6mm to the rear end but I always find that sets the blades too high. Simply put a lath on the outfeed table and manually rotate the block until it just 'kisses' the lath with no carry back. That will set the blades at the correct height with no snipe.
Thanks for advice will get straight on it

I've a habit of putting through the board at an angle then turning it to square as it cuts. It means the start is starting on the point of a triangle rather than hitting the full width of the board head on.

Snipe, snipe is caused by the board lifting at the end due to the bed not being long enough. Try making up a board to sit on the thicknesser bed and running the timber through on that surface,
the thicknesser bed on my wee thicknesser is only 16" long, and putting through a long board as it gets to the end the weight of the board sticking out the ourfeed end causes it to lift and take a bigger bite than it should.
Laying a long flat board limites the depth(mine is 2" thick to ensure flat over its length, and thats done away with snipe completely, and also allows long thin section to be thicknessed down to the point it explodes and disappears into the extractor. Most are 6mm minimum, but the board allows you to take it thinner than that.

Latest posts

Back