scheppach Planer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cerro

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a scheppach prima HMO planer/thicknesser and when I use the thicknesser in puts a big gouge at the end of the wood I have tried all sorts adjusted the four springs to 10mm oiled the rollers but i cant cure it any help would be appreciated or a repairers address in Ayrshire. Thank you for any help.

look up ways to minimize snipe, which is what you are desribing

I have a scheppach prima HMO planer/thicknesser and when I use the thicknesser in puts a big gouge at the end of the wood I have tried all sorts adjusted the four springs to 10mm oiled the rollers but i cant cure it any help would be appreciated or a repairers address in Ayrshire. Thank you for any help.

I have the HMO 260 planer/thicknesser and had the same problem as you. You are getting 'snipe' and it's almost always due to the blades being set too high. The conventional advice is to set the blades so they move a lath on the outfeed table back by 6 mm when you rotate the block. This will always result in snipe. Set the blades so that they just 'kiss' the lath without moving it. That should cure the problem. I am not sure what springs you refer to - are they on the roller system or the blade setting ?

I have the HMO 260 planer/thicknesser and had the same problem as you. You are getting 'snipe' and it's almost always due to the blades being set too high. The conventional advice is to set the blades so they move a lath on the outfeed table back by 6 mm when you rotate the block. This will always result in snipe. Set the blades so that they just 'kiss' the lath without moving it. That should cure the problem. I am not sure what springs you refer to - are they on the roller system or the blade setting ?
Thank you ever so much I had began to suspect it had something to do with the cutter but didn’t know what the springs are the four bolts with a 10mm nut that has to be set at 10mm. Thank you for all your replies can’t wait for tomorrow.

Also check the height of your infeed table relative to your outfeed table. If your infeed table is adjustable and slightly higher than the outfeed table as the end of your timber comes off the infeed table it will drop down to the level of the outfeed and give you snipe - the two tables should co-planar. On my Scheppach 260 it took absolutely ages to get the two tables level along the whole length and across the width....but once done setting the blade is a doddle

Last edited:
I agree with the post above about setting the blades lower, I used to set mine (2600 ci) to a 3mm "pull" on the stick when setting up.
However, if this is happening only in thicknesser mode I would suggest that it is not the blade setting that is the problem.
So it will be the fact that there is likely too much pressure on the rollers.
On my new planer thicknesser they were set very tight and I had to back them off loads to get rid of the snipe.
Make sure to do even adjustments left and right side.

Ollie

Latest posts

Back