SCHEPPACH NEW BASA 3.0V VARIO BANDSAW 205MM

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gaci

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I was going to purchase a record 300e but now have seen this one SCHEPPACH NEW BASA 3.0V VARIO BANDSAW 205MM
Does anyone have any reviews about the brand or the actual saw.
Just when you think it's all sorted the internet throws a curve ball.

If the 205mm refers to the wheel size then you will be comparing very different bandsaws. The BS300 is a12" or 300mm diameter wheel. Many manufacturers seem to be releasing smaller 9" saws at the moment is this aimed at that sector?
-Neil

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

There are loads of discussions on these all over this forum. FWIW the scheppach was a pretty good unit - I had the previous model - and now they've given it roller guides so that should've improved it. The fence is a bit average though.

gaci":2dert8mp said:
Hi everyone, I was going to purchase a record 300e but now have seen this one SCHEPPACH NEW BASA 3.0V VARIO BANDSAW 205MM
Does anyone have any reviews about the brand or the actual saw.
Just when you think it's all sorted the internet throws a curve ball.

I bought this band saw about 6 weeks ago. I had a bad experience with a Makita lb1200f - so this was its replacement. I toyed with the idea of buying a used Kity and restoring an old Whitehead, but I went for this in the end. It is actually based on an old Kity design.

I am pretty happy with it so far.

Good Points

Table is large and well made. The cast iron seems to have a coating which helps with rust resistance
No vibration problems! (Makita was terrible for this)
Seems to have enough power to resaw reasonable thicknesses of hardwood
Mitre gauge is great - very robust
Fence is decent
Quick release de-tensioner

Bad points
No built in LED light
It is a bit of strange shape so it takes up a bit more room width ways than bandsaws of this size

Overall, for the money it is pretty decent really

The quick release de-tensioner is very nice to have and definitely one up on the BS300 which is lacking this feature.
You have to step up to the BS350 I think before this is included.

-Neil

Appologies for the thread resurection, but this seems to be the most recent thread on this saw.

@Bodgers, or anybody else who has one of these or the older basata 3 - would it possible to roughly measure the footprint of your saw excluding the stand?
I'm trying to work out if it will fit in my rather tiny workshop (on a low bench) and the dimensions Scheppach give are a little inconsistent.
Also, any thoughts after a year or so with it?

Thanks
Sam

samhay":122hoxm9 said:
Appologies for the thread resurection, but this seems to be the most recent thread on this saw.

@Bodgers, or anybody else who has one of these or the older basata 3 - would it possible to roughly measure the footprint of your saw excluding the stand?
I'm trying to work out if it will fit in my rather tiny workshop (on a low bench) and the dimensions Scheppach give are a little inconsistent.
Also, any thoughts after a year or so with it?

Thanks
Sam
I still like it. No bad vibrations which is what I hated about the previous Makita. A couple of annoying things have happened:

The tensioner knob snapped off. This is because it is a captive steel nut inside a plastic covering. The actual threaded rod that it sits on is fine. I 3d printed another 6 months ago and it is holding up ok. The tensioner should be metal, but most saws of this type are the same.

The fence was a little off vertically. Not an issue cutting plywood, but resaws were affected. I shimmed the fence where it is attached to its support arm and this resolves it.

For the money it is definitely a good bandsaw. A big step up from something like the little Aldi or a Axy HBS250. You would have to spend a bit more on the record power to better it I think.

There is a lot of talk of bandsaw setup and avoiding drift, but I never had issues TBH. As long as the blade is sharp and and tensioned it just works.

The foot print works well as it is narrower than most machines of this type. I will try and get some measurements.

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 using Tapatalk

Think I can only echo what Bodgers has said. I sold mine and upgraded to an Axi 350 trade but tbh I half wish I hadn't as the older Basato 3 was really pretty good.

I think someone mentioned that the newer version had gone downmarket but don't quote me on that.

Yeah I think they are still selling both old and new variants depending on where you get it from. The newer one has no Basato branding on it, presumably because it doesn't meet the spec standards to have that badge. Mine does have the Basato branding, although the newer type was available at the time.

I would recommend that anyone that is interested in getting one, check with the UK importer NMA tools. The guy I emailed there was very helpful and he had a good knowledge of the old Kity stuff and how the models differ.

Thanks all.

>The tensioner knob snapped off...
I think I've come across other reports of this happening with Scheppach bandsaws. Annoying but probably not a deal breaker.

>For the money it is definitely a good bandsaw....
That's what my reading suggests.
>You would have to spend a bit more on the record power to better it I think.
Do you think the Record BS300e is a significantly better saw? On paper they look to be very comparable.

>The foot print works well as it is narrower than most machines of this type.
That's what I'm hoping. Do you see any reason why it couldn't be mounted on a different stand/cabinet?

>The newer one has no Basato branding on it, presumably because it doesn't meet the spec standards to have that badge.
All the Basato bandsaws on the NMA tools site are now branded Basa. I think the HBS saws have been designed/made to be the cheaper alternative, but they have shot themselves in the foot as the HBS300 is basically the same price as the Basa 3 at the moment.

On any decent bandsaw a tension/de-tension lever is a definite plus, you would have to go to the Record Power BS350 to get this, but then the Sabre is a step up from this as well, where does it all stop. (hammer) (hammer) (hammer) #-o

Mike

>where does it all stop
In my case, at the shed door as anything bigger won't fit inside. Or at least, I won't fit inside if it does!

Agreed that the (de)tensioner is a nice addition as long as it works reliably.

I have one of the older Basato 3 bandsaws and have owned it for about 5 years now and it's been a pretty good saw, to be honest. I bought it second-hand for £80 which was a bargain at the time anyway but I always thought of it as a "It will do for now" machine until I upgraded to a Wadkin or similar but it's been a little trooper of a saw for the time I've had it. I've given it serious abuse with heavy wood cutting and some 1" thick aluminium cutting but it keeps going and going. It was about 6 months ago I did a full bearing change on the band wheels and belt tensioner as they got to the point where the screeching was unbearable, they had used cheap bearings but it was a simple and inexpensive fix (£30 for 6 SKF high-quality bearings). I recently made new thrust bearings for the guides as the old ones had gotten grooved and made cutting quite difficult, that was also a simple and inexpensive fix since I had a metal lathe and a couple of old bearings knocking around which work so much better than the standard ones on the machine. I can't really say much bad about it other than small niggles that happen on all the rest of the Basato 3's like the tensioner knob breaking (It broke before I bought it, I just put two nuts on the thread and locked them togther and use a spanner to adjust tension) or the plastic clips that held the cabinet closed breaking (Since replaced with toggle clamps).

IBKNri6.png

qLKpB8O.png

I took some measurements for you,
The stand the saw sits on at it's widest points (The bottom) is 26" x 16"
If you were to take the stand off and use the base of the machine that is 23" x 13"
From the end of the motor to the front of the table (Back to front) is 26" so if you were to butt it up against a wall it would stick out 26"
From the edge of the cabinet to the end of the aluminium bar for the fence (Side to side) is 32"
Overall height including the stand is 65"

If you need any more measurements or have any more questions just let me know

Back