Scheppach HMS260CI -- lifting onto base ...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeeElms

Established Member
Reaction score
Any advice about how to lift the main part of this machine onto the base unit ?

It is obviously quite heavy, but also has icons on the unit indicating (I think) that it shouldn't be lifted by the cast-iron planer tables. There appears to be no information on this matter in the rather poor manual.

Hi Lee

It must not be picked up by the tables.

I believe that if you contact NMA, they will fax you a better set of instructions.

Cheers
Neil

Lee

For my planer/thicknesser, not a Schppach, but similar, the suggestion for moving the unit is to put a couple of 4 x 2 s through the thicknesser part and lift the unit like a stretcher.

Howard

Howard, i hate to disagree with you, but i would not recommend putting any 4x2 through the thicknesser as if i remember correctly this machine has rubber rollers that feed the wood through and by doing this they and the blades could be damaged.

Lee you are right, don't ever pick a planer up by its beds, as you can damage them.

As Neil says contact NMA who will advise you best.

Regards

Woody

Thanks for the responses.

I've called NMA:

-- they don't have any further written instructions. They don't seem to feel the manual is inadequate (!).

-- on the specific question re. lifting the main body of the unit, the advice is to use 2 '2x4s' UNDER the thicknesser table. Hope this helps someone in the future. The NMA technician seemed to think this was obvious from the 'cryptic' diagram on the sticker ...

-- Lee

I don't think I would describe them as unhelpful; they encouraged me to call them about any specific problems, and they readily knew the answer to my specific question about lifting.

But I stand by my comment that the manual is poor quality. The parts diagrams are detailed etc., but the instructions aren't up to the standard of those often found with items costing £5 or so: most importantly in respect of lack of any real instructions about usage (apart from safety) and also the quality of the English is sometimes so poor that it makes little sense, IMHO.

I would be interested if anyone else who owns this item has a different opinion ...

-- Lee

Can somebody just confirm for me that you have to wind the thicknesser table up and insert a couple of wooden battens underneath it to lift one of these things. Also the base has 4 locating pins that I presume slot into holes on the underside of the machine (I can't tell because it's still sat on its palette) but there are two sets of holes in the base to fit these in, do they go in the inner or outer set?

Graeme

Lee

Having just assembled the Scheppach2500ci sawbench, I can vouch for the instructions at first glance being very comprehensive. However when it comes to put into practice, the order of assembly is out of sequence, parts can only be properly identified by cross refering (which I gave up on) instructions may or may not be appropriate depending on whether the accessories are purchased (folding table) so differrent parts are needed.

And as for setting up and adjusting, to make folding table swing down properly without torsionally putting stress on the fence and the hinge under the fence can only be acheived by luck or in my case four hours of lateral thinking and fine adjustment, oh and a bruised thigh from grovelling on the floor (praying for inspiration :) ). The same thing applied to the sliding table.

It probably sounds like I am dissatisfied, I'm not because I like a challenge and I'm confident I now have a first class saw, but I thought I'd support you in your similar inability to translate the instructions

Cheers Alan.

This forum is fantastic!

I have just taken delivery of a HMS2600ci and I've been puzzling over the appalling manual and the poxey "lifting instruction" sticker tonight. Finally decided to search the forum and you've come up trumps for me again.

Now I feel confident that tomorrow I'll get the machine safely onto its base

Thanks to all

My confidence was misplaced. Along with 2 kind neighbours I've just spent 30 minutes lifting the unit (all 120Kg) on and off it's base. It's still not on correctly.

There are 4 locating pins that are fixed in the base. The main unit is supposed to drop onto these. We can only get one or other end on. It looks as if the other set are then misaligned by a couple of mm.

Anybodyelse had this problem? My neighbour wants to upend the machine and enlarge the holes that the pins fit in. :shock:

thanks
phil

Hi Phil

I also have the HMS2600CI and had the same problem. I also had the neighbours around and after half an hour, defeated, got out my tape measure, loosened the bolts on the base and reset it.

Unfortunately you can't just bolt the base together and expect it to fit. As you and I found out (the hard way), you will invariably get the base the wrong size and it won't be square.

How to fix it:
Do a rough measurement of the distance between the lugs that protrude under the main body (centre to centre). Then loosten the bolts on the base, move the panels out (or in if necessary) so that the receiving holes are of similar distance. If you now measure diagonally from hole centre to hole centre on the base and make sure the reading is the same. If it is then the base is square and the planer should fit snugly. Tighten the bolts and good luck! Mine worked, hope yours does!!

Cheers
Nolan

Nolan,

Thanks for your advice.

I've checked for square - that's fine. The issue seems to be the distance between the pins on the long axis of the base. I'll try moving the end panels out as you suggest and see if I can squeeze an extra mm or 2 into the length. I'll do that one evening this week and hopefully it will fit.

cheers
Phil

Is it as simple as assembling the base sections onto the guide pins with the P/T unit laid upside down?

Ike,

Best advice from NMA (the distibutor) is to assemble it upside down!

They confirm it is a pig to assemble. Their other suggestions are to use only 3 of the 4 pins or drill out the holes

They have already made Scheppach aware of the issue.

I'll let you know which solution I choose!
Phil

Hi Phil

I really wouldn't suggest you turn the machine upsidedown. As you know the machine is really heavy and you run the risk of bending the planer table hinges. I would suggest you go with moving the plates outwards - it worked for me.
Cheers

Nolan

I have just joined the forum because it has been so helpful. I have just set up my HMS2600ci. The key is to get the four pins absolutely square. I measured the centre of the holes on the P/T by sliding the machine to the edge of the pallet and tilting it very slightly. You can just see the holes if you scramble on the floor with a torch. Not much fun, but it works. I wouldn't recommend turning the machine completely on its side and fitting the base, because it has to be lifted back, but now with a higher centre of gravity and not a lot that's solid enough to grab onto. This beast is quite heavy. The measurements for the pin centres on my machine were 295mm x 550mm. The diagonals was 624mm. (However, I would check your own machine, just in case the spec. has changed). I spent some time getting this right - but it's well worth it. I then put two 3 x 2 regularised timbers under the thicknesser table and lowered the thicknesser table gently onto the timbers. I called on the help a willing 6' 2" Irish neighbour and we lifted the machine over the base. Lined up the edges and sides and lowered it gently. A perfect fit. :D By reading this forums beforehand I saved a lot of hard work, so thanks everyone. Hope this helps.

Latest posts

Back