Scheppach HM0 Solo thicknesser issues

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all, first post here so please be gentle...... I have one of these old machines which I inherited. Problem I am having is that when thicknessing it doesn't seem to be cutting any surface at the correct height, if i raise the table a little it will cut but I have to push hard to get the timber though.
The blades are fairly new and set to drag around 3mm, all of the springs and mechanism look good and recently oiled, the only thing I am not sure of is the condition of the rollers. Both look like they have uneven wear, could this be the culprit?
any help greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_5058.JPEG
    IMG_5058.JPEG
    98.9 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_5059.JPEG
    IMG_5059.JPEG
    148.7 KB · Views: 28
Sorry to hijack, but can I ask a quick related question. Should the blades and underside of infeed/outfeed rollers be in the same plane or should blades protrude a fraction? I am having to force timber through thicknesser, but when I checked today with a flat edge, the rollers run 1-2mm lower than blades.

Sorry to hijack, but can I ask a quick related question. Should the blades and underside of infeed/outfeed rollers be in the same plane or should blades protrude a fraction? I am having to force timber through thicknesser, but when I checked today with a flat edge, the rollers run 1-2mm lower than blades.

The feed rollers should be below the blades, they are spring loaded to apply pressure and should lift as the timber goes through.

The planer bed might need a clean/wax?

Something like this

https://www.axminstertools.com/libe...eC7o5xc55ajjGrO6qlSiSGvXxlwt7TToaAu4hEALw_wcB

That roller is very worn and most likely the problem. It is never going to perform right like that. If you replace the roller you may as well go the whole hog and also do all the bearings and belts too because the poor old thing looks to have had a hard life. Do the lot in one go rather than having to keep pulling it apart every time something else goes @#$e up.
From the look of that roller the last owner likely shoved every board right through the center rather than spreading the ware over the full width of the machine. Taking the full 3mm depth of cut is also hard on them.
Regards
John

I have that very same machine and yes as said in the other post the rollers look shot and should be replaced
Somewhere I have the HMS250 manual
Alan
Sorry I meant HMS 260

Cheers! Any idea what kind of difference in height should be?

My planer is a Sedgwick with metal fluted in feed roller and plain metal outfeed roller. The manual recommends the infeed roller 1mm below the cutting circle and the outfeed 2mm below, not sure about other makes and models.

On mine as well as adjusting the height you can also adjust the pressure of the feed rollers, the recommended settings are all in the manual, again not sure how it works on other makes and models.

If you change the rollers and require a new drive roller belt don't get a genuine sheppach as this will cost you £35
google Wych Bearings and order 345-3M-06 timing belt. 3mm pitch 6mm wide and will cost you far less

I have had one on my planer for the last 3 years and it works fine
Timing belt.png

Back