Scheppach Flyer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noel

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not a Sheppach fan but anyway...
NMA have a flyer out at the moment with some of the monthly comics, entitled "Promotions" + "Special Offers 2004/05" etc. Anyway, along with all the reduced prices and newly released bits of kit they've highlighted the wonderous benefits of their "adjustable groove cutter" (which I presume to be an old fashioned wobble blade, but please correct me if I'm misguided...). Anyway, the blurb goes on about an "SUVA" guide which is recommended for all hidden cuts. So, what is this? Some accronyn devised by Sheppach?

Noel, who does not have any holzbearbeitungsmaschinen by Scheppach...

Noely":2ul3tdg4 said:
Noel, who does not have any holzbearbeitungsmaschinen by Scheppach...

Well we can't all be so lucky I guess :lol:

Noel, the adjustable groove cutter is not a wobble saw but a dirty great dado cutter with a variety of shims to adjust the width. It is if a very unusual form - the two blades only have a couple of (very big) carbide teeth each that make cuts that "overlap" so that no chippers are needed. The thing works very well actually and produces a pretty nice cut.

A SUVA guard is one of those overhead suspended (cantilevered) guards. IIRC, SUVA was the name or the initials of acompany that first made them.

Thanks for that Chris. So it's more like a moulding head, that doesn't mould.....or more like a massive spindle moulder cutter.

Cheers

Noel

Hi Dev,

Delta 36-451 with Biesemeyer Fence

Noel

waterhead37":1wfn0di6 said:
....the two blades only have a couple of (very big) carbide teeth each that make cuts that "overlap" so that no chippers are needed

Chris,

I think it comes with HSS teeth that are bonded onto the cutter head as you describe (or at least mine seem to be). Not that I'm an expert, but their catalogue describes it as HSS, and the teeth do look like steel....

Martin.

Chris,

I was kind of hoping I was wong actually :? But I suppose it's at least easier to resharpen steel blades yourself....

Martin.

2 questions:

1) The Scheppach catalogue also lists a 'slot' cutter. Does anyone know how this differs from the 'groove cutter' ?

2) Can you fit a 'standard' dado blade on this saw ?

-- Lee

1) The Scheppach catalogue also lists a 'slot' cutter. Does anyone know how this differs from the 'groove cutter' ?
Aha - therein may lie the difference - I have the slot cutter, which I'm pretty sure is HSS. It sounds like Chris/Waterhead may have the groove cutter, which he reckons is carbide (the catologue doesn't say one way or the other for the groove cutter).

Apart from the HSS/carbide thing, I think the slot cutter will cut slots between 8 and 15mm wide with a singe pass. With the groove cutter it's between 5 and 9.8mm in a single pass. Presumably this is due to a difference in the size of the cutter heads bonded onto each blade.

2) Can you fit a 'standard' dado blade on this saw ?
Not sure - I don't see why not, but there are potentially issues with the electric brake on the saw. Perhaps the Scheppach cutters are so designed so as to cut down on the overall weight of the cutter set for this reason (i.e. employing just 2 cutters instead 2 + chippers). Probably best to get an answer from NMA...

Edit: One advantage of the Scheppach cutters is that they come supplied with a wider insert for the saw table, saving you the job of making one up yourself.

Martin.

waterhead37":19e4kou6 said:
A SUVA guard is one of those overhead suspended (cantilevered) guards. IIRC, SUVA was the name or the initials of acompany that first made them.

Hmmm, SUVA is the Swiss version of the HSE in the UK. Well kind of, it's health insurance stuff. They do alot of safety research and so on. I had assumed that they'd specified that type of overhead guard and the name stuck.

SUVA - Schweizerische Unfallversicherungsanstalt - Swiss Accident Insurance Institute.

Martyn

P.S. Very excited as we've just worked out we can have a 23 sq m brick built workshop extension, so I can fit a TS4010 in it just lovely :D - umm, once we've built it that is :eek:

Thanks Martyn, I'll go off and find a picture.
Hope the new build goes well.

Noel

Not the greatest picture, there's an 8x4 sheet covering the table saw, but this gives some idea...

http://www.axminster.co.uk//images/prod ... 002_xl.jpg

basically you don't have a riving knife on, sine the kerf is wide and doesn't go through the whole thickness. So you can't attach a crown guard to that. Hence why the SUVA type guard is suspended from above.

Martyn

Thanks Martyn. I actually thought it was something different. As it happens I have the Axminster guard, hence my interest in something similar.

Cheers

Noel

Back