Scheppach CAPAS3 Sliding Mitre Saw Question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Hello,

I've just bought one of these second hand and I'm finding that the dust collection is not so good ...... and I'm wondering what I'm doing wrong - Scheppach stuff is normally problem free (in my humble experience!).

It consists of two tubes, one going into the blade guard, the other into a hole at the back of the saw, with an opening into which (I guess) the sawdust is thrown and collected. I've tried connecting both pipes via a Y piece into both a small standard workshop vacuum, and also into a larger 4" extraction system. In both cases large amounts of dust are thrown off the blade unto the surrounding bench (and into the air). The dust collection is far worse that the cheapo B&Q chop saw I had previously.

Does anyone have any experience of this saw ? One point to note is that normally a black 'horn' is mounted into the vacuum hole in front of the blade; this is missing on my saw, but I struggle to see that it would provide significant improvement (and am a bit reluctant to part with more cash!).

Any thoughts welcome.

dwalke15, although i have no experience of that particular mitre saw the saws that i have used have all been lacking in the dust extraction department, and from what i have read this is a fault with most other mitre saws.

Sorry to be so negitive but these are only my views.

Regards

Woody

Dwalke,

I had one of these a few years ago. Although I only kept it a few months before selling it (fine saw, just a bit on the big side for my needs and I do like induction motors so replaced it with a EB) the cut and capacity was excellent and as you say the dust management was pathetic but I'm confident in saying that there's not a mitre saw on the market that captures even 50% of dust produced. As Woody has already mentioned it's the nature of the breed. Some people build a hood around the back of the saw with a dust port (which will capture 90% of the dust) or enlarge the mouth of the lower standard trap.

Noel

dwalke15":a7klgwin said:
One point to note is that normally a black 'horn' is mounted into the vacuum hole in front of the blade; this is missing on my saw, but I struggle to see that it would provide significant improvement (and am a bit reluctant to part with more cash!).

Any thoughts welcome.

Well, these saws all collect dust by willing it in the right direction. My EB 303 saw has part of the slide support actually formed into a funnel rather than having an add on funnel like you describe. Looking at the Scheppach picture their design does make some sense, the black funnel piece will help guide the "spray" of chippings into the extractor hose which would otherwise just sail over the back of the saw and into the air.

If the dust bothers you, and it can get pretty bothersome not to mention bad for you, then I'd at least look into the price of getting a replacement funnel, or maybe fabricating some thing even more effective - if that works out cheaper for you.

Woody has a point though, none of these saws like to keep it to themselves. Generally the more powerfull they are the more overspill there will tend to be.

Good luck,

Martyn

As far as I recall the black rubber thing didn't really do much. It's was about 6" wide. The next time you do a bit of cutting have a look at how wide the spread is of the dust coming out from the back of the blade and it'll give you some idea of the horn's usefulness. Otherwise it's a great machine.

Noel

I have the cheap B&Q saw but I modified it for dust extraction.I found that I had to cut away part of the fence and insert a funnel type guide behind the blade, mine also had a baffle in the duct which I removed. It doesn't catch all the dust but the difference with and without the extractor on is amazing. Where I used to have a mound of sawdust behind the saw I now have a light dusting. I did find cutting slowly with a fine blade helped too.

The Fox mitre saw has a similar port. It catches the fine dust but not all the sawdust. I don't think any of the mitre saws have very efficient dust capture.

By the looks of it, you could try making a larger funnel out of a piece of truck or motorbike inner tube rolled into a cone and shaped to fit. That way as you canted the saw over it could deform to fit the angle. The stock funnel is small so that it doesn't have to flex as you lean the head over I guess.

HTH

Martyn

Dwalke, as Noely states you could build a dust hood that goes behind your mitre saw. Some of the pro radial arm saws use this sort dust collection system and it apparently works very well. See the Stromab RS650S radial arm saw at www.machines4wood.com to see the sort of thing we are talking about. That one is made out of metal but you should be able to knock one up out of MDF quite easily.

Good luck

Woody

Hi,
I have one of these and yes it spews dust everywhere even with both plastic tubes attached and joined to my DC.

My solution was to build a cabinet ( out of MDF ) behind the blade to cover the sliding arms and to come as far forward as possible. Covering the RHS adjusters for depth and locking of blade head for transport is not a problem because your dust hood will be about 450 to 550 mm wide and quite tall. Attach the bottom or rear of this to your DC system. Mine captures around 90% of the dust the rest is caught by the ceiling mounted Dust Filter.

I'm currently moving things around to fit in a new machine so no pictures at present. I will post some as soon as I can.

Alan

When I bought a sliding mitre saw I found the slide stuck so far out the back that I moved the bench away from the wall.
90% of the waste fans out behind the bench hitting a sheet of plywood I had stored there then fell to the floor.
My idea now is to fit some hardboard, shiny side facing the saw, bent towards the floor.
Hopefully this will remove the rightangle between wall and floor that needs brushing by hand to remove the waste.
Ending the hardboard some way above the floor will allow a pull out waste bin so the sawdust will slide right in.
The final shape will depend on how I can bend the board but intend making it like a large half cone.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply (and if anyone else has any ideas please feel free !!)

I've come to the conclusion that the little black fitting that's missing is probably not the answer....... beech, if you get round to it, some photos would be appreciated - I'm going to embark on some hood construction !

My only reservation is that I seem to spend more time fettling stuff for my workshop that actually building furniture in it. I guess when the workshop becomes more comfortable than the house, I'll have to rethink.... also I guess it's a side effect of someone that does this as a hobby, rather than make a living through it.

cheers,
Darren

dwalke15":1k2yvnoj said:
My only reservation is that I seem to spend more time fettling stuff for my workshop that actually building furniture in it.

The truth dawns, it is sometimes quite hard not to spend all of your time making or modifying stuff that is useful for making other stuff.
This is a trap that a lot of us get caught in from time to time. :oops: :roll:

dwalke15":1tr1lmby said:
My only reservation is that I seem to spend more time fettling stuff for my workshop that actually building furniture in it. I guess when the workshop becomes more comfortable than the house, I'll have to rethink.

cheers,
Darren
You mean you are making a reclining chair for the workshop too? :lol:

DaveL":37pqbzsr said:
dwalke15":37pqbzsr said:
My only reservation is that I seem to spend more time fettling stuff for my workshop that actually building furniture in it.

The truth dawns, it is sometimes quite hard not to spend all of your time making or modifying stuff that is useful for making other stuff.
This is a trap that a lot of us get caught in from time to time. :oops: :roll:

I finally managed a project where everything, and I mean everything fell into place. I planed, then thicknessed my timber, (bag was recently changed on extractor - so didn't have to worry about changing it P/T was setup and sharp), I cut the turning blanks on the bandsaw (which had a new blade, and was tensioned and working well). The lathe was already setup, and the tools just needed a slight grind on the tormek (finally got the jigs for turning tools). I then routed the main unit and used some miller dowels to assemble. I don't think I've ever assembled a project so fast. What really finished it off was it's the first time I've used my LN spoke shaves. Sometimes, it just all falls into place.

Adam

DaveL":3rvgmon5 said:
asleitch":3rvgmon5 said:
I finally managed a project where everything, and I mean everything fell into place.

Wow quite an achievement :D

Tis very rare, but I'm trying to get in the habit of making things, rather than things-to-assist-in-making-things. :?

Having said all that, I'm fit and raring to go for my workshop extension next week. To create a wee-bit more space!!!

Adam

asleitch":310i95hv said:
...workshop extension next week. To create a wee-bit more space!!!
Into which, no doubt, you'll manage to squeeze a Rojek 4-sided planer :wink:

hum hum, Adam we didn't see pictures of this perfect fitting project did we :shock: :wink:

How much bigger will your extension make your workshop? (is that english?! :oops: )

Back