Scheppach Baso 3.0v v Charnwood W730???

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gmcnally

Reaction score
Hi, Does anybody have recommendions on either of the bandsaws or similar ones around £500

...I have started looking again. 3 years ago I got a basic "Aldi" 8inch bandsaw that has been really good for the odds and sods I needed to do at the time, (fitted a Tuffsaws blade and it really does punch above it's weight).

However I have started looking for something larger, (ideally 12 inch), and like you around £500.

I did like Record stuff but had a bad experience with a wetstone grinder that was basically made from cheese and packed up after 20 mins, (really rubbish quality control), and this has put me off Record, (although they are al probably the same?).

Also I find the smallest record saw is overpriced for what it is and is too small, and the next one up is a significant hike in price with nothing in between.

I have considered Makita, but seen some bad reviews. Also been looking at Jet but can't find a lot about them, also considered Lumberjack? but again not seen many reviews.

Charnwood seem to be "lower grade" stuff and at the moment I am considering Scheppach as they seem to offer a wide range and the reviews are generally not too bad.

(NB I would have compromised on the latest Aldi 10inch for £150, but they have sold out!

Sheppach make good stuff, always a little over priced but all the products I have bought we're made in Germany.....
I still have one of their little panel saws......very well made and very accurate......it's the sort of saw u would use to make grandfather clocks etc....
U need to check.....
Bosch for a good while get a lot their stuff made under Lic in China, it's OK but would buy older machines if it we're poss.....
So for Drills and grinders routers etc (mains powered) I only ever by Japanese now.....battery tools will gradually swop to Milwauke as and when the olds tools break....
as far as I'm concered Record are just trading on their name, the old machines made in the UK were good.....
no idea when they started to buy their stuff from China......
AGAIN nothing wrong with Chinese machines but for people like Charnwood and `Record they are mde DOWN to a price....
Myford man has the right idea.....buy used...
perhaps make a shopping list and cross the water for a long weekend....
the savings would pay the ferry fare.....??

...it wouldn't be so bad if Record charged a reasonable price for their "made in China" cheese, alternatively happy to pay more for better quality...and I agree that some Chinese stuff is fine, its just so variable as they obviously have no quality control, so you may "get lucky" and get one manufactured to the right spec. or you may get a Friday afternoon one...(I thought those days were long gone, but obviously not, and in my correspondance with Record over my little grinder problem it is obviouse they don't really care....)

...how is your search going?....I am now erring towards the Sheppach but would like to see one "in the flesh" before I part with the reddies!

..Like the look of "Jet", but can't find a dealer anywhere near me...

...I have been looking at reviews for Charnwood and they are not very good regarding the "variable quality".

I am now leaning (heavily........45+ degrees) towards the Scheppach, (Screwfix are doing it for £449 delivered). They are German, (still probably made in China), but hopefully better quality control?...may see if I can actually see one before I make a final decision....

...have you (OP) had any more thoughts?

I can't throw in any pence for the quality of Charnwood gear, although i have one of their "professional" extractors coming tomorrow. what I can say is that service I have had from them has been second-to-none and their site has a ton of spares if need be.

I have a second hand W730 and can't fault it, first thing I did was replace the guide bearings and order some 1/2" Tuffsaws Supertuff Fastcut blades. It will cut 8 1/2" Oak without missing a beat, it does say 9" but the upper guides are stuck very near the top and have been all the time I've had it. This was reflected in the price I paid for it.

Hi, Does anybody have recommendions on either of the bandsaws or similar ones around £500
I've had the Basa 3.0 for about 3 years.

It's all relative. I spent similar money on a Makita bandsaw previously and it was a house of horrors with its vibrations.

The Scheppach likely is no Startrite, but for an averaged sized bandsaw that fits in a garage workshop there's little to beat it for the price - if you want new with a warranty.

Motor is reasonably powerful, table is excellent.

The only downers on mine have been the latch on the bottom wheel cover has the longest thread in the world and takes ages to screw shut - there's no avoiding doing it fully as the safety shut off is connected to it

Also the tension knob split, but you can easily rellace or make one. I 3D printed one.

The fundamentals are there though...

Decent power
No vibrations or prone to vibrations
Ok build quality where it matters

..ta for the update...I am about to "push the button" after reviewing some youtube videos...I was going to go the Record route, but this .seems like a better compromise in terms of size v price..

..ta for the update...I am about to "push the button" after reviewing some youtube videos...I was going to go the Record route, but this .seems like a better compromise in terms of size v price..
Let us know how you get on, pictures etc.

Latest posts

Back