Scheppach 2500CI Riving Knife + other advice needed please!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danst96

Established Member
Reaction score
Good morning all!
I recently picked up a Scheppach 2500CI table saw for what I hope was a pretty reasonable cheap price (£800, be glad of peoples thoughts as I am very inexperienced here). Its was a bit messy but I have been cleaning it up and it now looks pretty good. The only major flaws I have found so far is one of the mitre slots has a couple of chunks out of the T part of the metal however I am hopeful it wont impact the use of the saw.

My first major safety issue is replacing the switch as the previous owner (or one before him) has rewired it to replace the 16amp 3 prong plug with a standard plug. The wiring job is bad and it shoots out some pretty big sparks which is a fire hazard at the least. Does anyone have any good suggestions of what they have done themselves? I quite like the look of those big American style switches with big STOP flap which you can knock with your knee to switch off in the case of an accident but haven't found any UK supply of these.

It also did not come with a riving knife or blade guard. I am struggling to find a template anywhere or any spare parts. If anyone has this saw and knows where I could find one I would be very appreciative. Or if anyone has one and has a 1:1 scan that would be amazing.

Lastly, the mitre slots are non standard which I foresee as being my only long term frustration with the saw. I do have the sliding table which I haven't had a chance to use yet (my shop is tiny for this size saw at 3x4m but I am moving soon to a bigger one) but does anyone have any ideas as to good accessories that will fit with this saw?

Thanks in advance for anyone who takes the time to reply!

It always surprised me why folk take big risks buying machinery on eBay without a full assessment before parting with their money.
Sparks flying out of the machine on demonstration should have probably stopped you handing over any cash?...unless by chance you are an electrician?
I took a look on eBay and can see only one of these machines recently sold. The description matches some of your problems you describe.
I wonder exactly how well used the machine really is and if other parts..bearings etc are in decent condition?
Although you don't tell us in your post the reason for not buying a new or in better condition second hand machine that could be had for a couple of hundred pounds more.?
However, if as you describe sparks are flying out of the machine I would suggest you just Get it checked out with an electrician.
Get him to check the motor and change it back to 16 amp. Then add the cut out button at the same time.
Contact Scheppach or one of their dealers regarding the riving knife.
The Mitre slots seem to be a common problem. Even today charnwood come with non standard slots on their machines. Your only option is to make wooden runners or Get a metal shop to knock you some up.
I'm sorry I can't be more positive from what you have told us.

My father is a qualified electrician who works on machinery daily so not massively worried about that he can help fix it, just wondered if anyone had any experience with after market switches.

Everything else is good about the saw and I did view it before buying however didn't notice the electrical issue at the time of viewing, only noticed on closer inspection (not really something that occurred to me to look at too closely , lesson learnt).

Reason for going for this saw was it was very nearby to me at what I assume is a reasonably good price for this saw. Same models (albeit in slightly better nick) fetch up to £800 more as far as I can see. Others available at the time of buying were a significant drive away and while I know pallet collection is an option and mentioned a lot, there's not many sellers willing to go to the trouble of palleting up I have found since it's a seller's market at the moment with bidders/buyers locally willing to pay and collect.

I'll try contacting a Scheppach dealer for the riving knife, thanks

Ive take a look online. Try these. At the best they can forward dimensions to make a riving knife.

Attachments

• 20210315_184920.jpg
    20210315_184920.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 16
Back