SCCM - Makita LS1019 or Bosch GCM350-254

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Torx

Established Member
Reaction score
I’d pretty much fixed on the Makita, but then came across the Bosch, which seems to offer a lot more for the money - the variable speed and increased capacity would be really useful. The extraction looks better on the Makita, and it tin closer to the wall - but I’d probably pull it out when needed anyway (or put it away when the space is needed more like).

Any comments on either or these models, or anything similar in the £400-500 price bracket I’ve missed?

Thanks

If you are looking for something you can put up tight to a wall the Metabo KGSV 72 XACT is in the same ballpark, but slightly smaller capacity. Fits nicely up against a wall though and dust collection is pretty good. Hikoki (Hitachi) also do one for about £500 C12RSH2 which looks like it's got a capacity comparable to the Bosch. Can't comment on the Hikoki but the Metabo is a good saw.

If you are looking for something you can put up tight to a wall the Metabo KGSV 72 XACT is in the same ballpark, but slightly smaller capacity. Fits nicely up against a wall though and dust collection is pretty good. Hikoki (Hitachi) also do one for about £500 C12RSH2 which looks like it's got a capacity comparable to the Bosch. Can't comment on the Hikoki but the Metabo is a good saw.

Thanks, I’ll have a look at those. I think I’ve looked at the Hikoki already, but I have to admit to feeling safer with brands I’ve already used when it's most likely I’ll be ordering blind online. I’ve used a Bosch GCM12 GDL (the one without the rails) and loved it, so that’s swaying me a bit if the quality is the same.

I maybe too late for this, but i have the makita you mention and its always been great.

I maybe too late for this, but i have the makita you mention and its always been great.

I’m currently hanging on for the Bosch as it seems to be out of stock everywhere in 240v. The variable speed seems a nice feature for cutting the odd bit of alu. Maybe I’ll have another look at the Makita...

Can you cut thicker stock with the Makita with a sacrificial piece against the fence? It seems that’s all Bosch are doing to up their specs to 100mm / 4 x 4

Makita make probably the best cordless drills, impact drivers etc but Bosch are better with mitre saws and many other site type tools in my opinion. My Bosch 305mm mitre saw is invaluable, it is the one on sliders so you need room behind, if thats an issue get the later model GCM 12 that uses a glide arrangement but is more expensive & getting the larger blade model will give you that extra depth of cut when needed.

Makita make probably the best cordless drills, impact drivers etc but Bosch are better with mitre saws and many other site type tools in my opinion. My Bosch 305mm mitre saw is invaluable, it is the one on sliders so you need room behind, if thats an issue get the later model GCM 12 that uses a glide arrangement but is more expensive & getting the larger blade model will give you that extra depth of cut when needed.

I’ve used the GCM-12 a bit and loved it. Unfortunately it’s out of my budget for this and I’m going for a 10” anyway as it will see occasional use away from the workshop, and not enough use inside the workshop that I can’t live with the shortcomings of a smaller blade. Axminster are doing a great price on the Bosch but don’t know when it will be back in stock. Don’t know if it’s Covid or what.

The Bosch GCM 350-254 came back into stock with various suppliers, so I’ve ordered one. Glad I waited as I was just about to bite the bullet on the Makita £540ish when I had a notification about the Bosch. Bought through FFX and with two different discount codes on eBay it came to £380, so I’ll be chuffed if it does what it says on the tin.

How are you getting on with the Bosch mate? I'm considering the LS1019L, but the larger capacity and lower price of the Bosch is inviting. How was accuracy out the box? Dust collection? Any issues with it?

How are you getting on with the Bosch mate? I'm considering the LS1019L, but the larger capacity and lower price of the Bosch is inviting. How was accuracy out the box? Dust collection? Any issues with it?

Accuracy is pretty good out of the box but I might have been lucky. Good enough that I haven’t get got round to making it perfect.

Dust collection is OK using my old Nilfisk with a 50mm hose, I can’t compare this to other machines as I’ve only used industrial setups with an enormous hood behind the blade. The work area isn’t spotless but you can tell if you’ve left the ear defenders and forgotten to switch the vacuum on. If that does happen it doesn’t take much dust to stop the brake kicking in - blowing it off with an airline sorts it but I’ve heard other complaints and no question it’s a design fault.

Back