Scary Machines

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr

Established Member
Reaction score
Just come back from the down below where I've been working a the latest project. I've always been wary of machines that spin blades faster than I can think and now I know why. I was about to chop a 6 cm square length of Ash with a Powerbase mitre saw, had the ash on the block squeezed the trigger and started to lower the blade into the wood. The blade had barely made contact when - big bang, I release the trigger and the wood jumps up and lodges against the blade guard. That was the least of the wories once I started looking to see what had happened. I had thought that something akin to table saw kickback had occurred but no. The retaining screw that holds the washers etc against the end of the blade arbor has sheared through and the blade has jumped off the arbor and is just hanging in the housing kept in place by the plastic guard, literally resting free against the guard. Machines - who needs em!

OUCH! :shock:
Crikey, Mike-sounds like a close one. I'd be giving Homebase an earful (once you've changed those underpants :lol: )
Glad you're o.k.,
Philly :D

I can remember back when I first started college a few years ago and I was quite scared by the thought of some of the machines we had and what damage could be done in the case of an accident.

One of my teachers once said he has always had a "healthy fear"
of woodworking machinery and thinking that myself, I felt a lot more confident about it.

Anyway, the point is, you (presumabely) took precautions towards your own health and safety, as with any other tool or machine, yet things still could've gone horribly wrong for you.

Let 'em have it, I say!! If it can almost happen to you, it can and perhaps will someoday soon happen to ANYONE ELSE buying this same product.

I'm all for providing the hobby or DIY user with better, more affordable tools with which to get the job done - but whatever the price range, this kind of things is truly unthinkable!

The mitre saw's one tool I don't have - and you just put me off buying a cheaper model FOR LIFE! :?

i'm with Oz
i wonder how often it happens (major parts failure) with these cheaper but just as dangerous machines.
glad your ok

Sent a shiver down my spine reading your post. Although I love my power tools I am always very wary of using them. I am paranoid about the cuffs of my shirt getting caught in a blade and I must check my shirt about 10 times when in the shop :?

Glad your OK thou. I suggest neoprene trousers as they dont show any stains :shock:

you're a lucky guy, and this does remind us that not all the tools that are cheaply produced are properly inspected before shipping.

in the old days the car companies used to have assessors to work out whether it was cheaper to pay people off or make the cars safer. seems to me the tool companies now do the same. in many cases i know they do not test each individual machine, and rely on the low cost to make available replacements at no cost to those whose machines go wrong.
it happens with ikea lights, so why not tools.
at 29.95 retail with the B&Q margin, as well as the importers shipping and insurance costs plus his margin, the guy in china is making these things for about £5.00, how can you afford proper inspection, or even proper steel?

you work to near the blade on a mitre/chop saw to risk your eyes and life to a cheap piece of kit.

save your body, not the money.
paul :wink:

Glad you safe and well - moan like stink especially on a sunday morning when the store is full - that will at least get you money back and maybe a bit of compen. to keep you quiet.

It's not just the cheap tools that go wrong. No matter what piece of kit if it goes past you at 1000 + rpm. it stands a good chance of killing you. Not what woodwork's about.

It just proves the point of regularly checking you stuff - not that that will reveal a fractured fixing. You don't know it's fractured until it flies off.

Don't let any of this put you off - more chance of being run over by a bus- especially the way they drive round here.

Have a good Sunday
Mike H

mr very glad that you're OK..but seriously, I would take your concern as high as possible in the branch and also write to Head Office.

You might also like to consider local Trading Standards. I may be over-reacting and that it is a one off but there are such things as product recalls especially if it is a faulty batch.

Hi Mike

I'm glad that you suffered no damage. From your description, you are one very lucky man.

Just glad that you are safe.

Cheers
Neil

Latest posts

Back