Scarf joint - structural

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sammy.se

Established Member
Reaction score
Just saw this quick tutorial on youTube and I liked it. Might be of interest to people.

https://youtu.be/-SUtoKKNKHQ

PS video contains some product placement and a 'please subscribe' etc dialogue. I know several people hate that :)

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

If I dig back far enough into my photos from building my extension I'll be able to find the photos of doing that exact same scarf. The only thing he does differently is to secure the first of his folding wedges, which is a nice idea. I'd have been tempted to run a handsaw through a couple of those faces as they were nearly together, just to neaten it up a tad, but it does show that a half decent chippie doesn't rely just on butt joints for first fix work.

I was wondering when I watched that if an acute angle, instead of 90 degrees at the tips of the timbers would result in a stronger joint?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

We used to make these in College, I've never actually seen one of these made in the wild though as I'm pretty sure everyone just screws another beam onto the side of a butt joint. You do see them quite frequently on older builds though! Skillbuilder has some cracking videos on Youtube.

sammy.se":25lunut3 said:
I was wondering when I watched that if an acute angle, instead of 90 degrees at the tips of the timbers would result in a stronger joint?

It's already technically an acute angle, It's just squared off from the angled mating surfaces but in relation to the whole timber it's an angled surface which will give it a lot of strength from flexing.

Back