scanner problems

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waka

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I've got a packard bell diamond plus scanner which gives me a lot of problems.

I use windows XP and bought the scanner at the same time as the computer so it should be compatible.
When I try to scan anything, I might be lucky enough to scan one photo or document before the whole thing stops responding, -occasionally I might even get two scans done.
Quite often though it just starts the scan and then stops. This seizes everything up and I have to press ctrl, alt, delete to get rid of it.

Quite often it comes up with the response that the scanner is not plugged in or is not ready. As far as I can see there is nothing wrong with the cable.

On the odd occasion when everything goes right and I manage to scan a photo, it is invariably very dark. I've tried to adjust the scanner settings but that doesn't work.
I have uninstalled the scanner and associated programmes and reinstalled them but if anything it has just made matters worse.

Have you checked the web for updates to your scanners software/firmware?

Have you gone back to where you got the computer from and asked them for any suggestions/resolution as if they sold you the complete package then you would have a claim against them as 'not being fit for purpose' probable.

Roger

hi Waka,

I had a lot of grief getting my Packard Bell Diamond to work with XP, i ended up trying lots of different drivers for it - a Mustek one worked well in the end (apparently they make them and rebadge them) so it may be worth a try, but i never did solve the power problem and gave up with it in the end

Jim

Hi Waka
First of all i don't know if it is your driver giving you grief, but when I brought my usb scanner over to XP I was having driver grief and not having a driver for it I went and downloaded a driver here.

http://members.driverguide.com/index.php

Works great and it is not the manufactures driver as they don't put them up on the site as it is so old.

If you do download drivers from here remember to scan them through your AV

Oh, heres a computer forum my eldest always use and they know their stuff.

http://discussions.virtualdr.com/

Thanks guys

It was actually HID's who posted the problem, I'm to busy in the workshop to play with scanners.

Question I have and excuse my ignorance (must be an age thing), what are "drivers" and what do they do? This question is from both of us.

it's the fing wot makes your hardware work. or not. depending.

Seriously though, it's the bit of glue between the hardware and the operating system that enables the OS, and hence applications, to use the h/w. Get the wrong one and stuff won't work. Get the right one, and if you're lucky, things might work. Get the right one, and things still don't work - throw the microsoft junk in the bin and get a decent OS...

(ok, ignore that last bit if you're not a computer type)

Waka,

A driver is a piece of software. usually provided by the vendor of hardware such as scanners or printers that you often have to install from a CD included in the box you bought the hardware in.

Windows XP has a lot of generic drivers and can often "drive" a piece of hardware without the manufacturer's specific driver. However, you sometimes lose part of the functionality of the hardware of you elect to use the generic driver.

The hardware manufacturers can and do frequently update drivers so it is always good practice to check their sites for new ones. These are issued to provide extra functionality or to correct problems that people have experienced.

If you want to get to the bottom of these issues, you may care to follow this trail:-
http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_d ... hsx,00.asp

or better still, this one http://www.drivershq.com/features.asp

Waka,

I've had a dig about and found a driver that has been written to deal with the XP problems you outline. If you want to PM me your e-mail address, I'll attach it and ping it over to you.

Ray.

of course, one worthwhile piece of advice which is too late for this issue...avoid anything with 'packard bell' on the front! They aren't Hewlett Packard, and they aren't Bell Labs...they're cheap, nasty, and to be avoided.

In my opinion, of course, and should anyone from packard bell read this... <bleargh>

Bought a Canon LIDE about a year ago. Plug into USB port and off you go. :D
Works great.
Cant even remeber what i had to load.
:D

Back