Scammers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newt

Established Member
Reaction score
Had several phones calls recently stating I have problems with my windows and that they work for Microsoft. I could hardly understand as they had a very heavy accent. They rang again today asking me to switch on my computer they normally ring off when I say I am using an IPad. Anyway I said do you really work for Microsoft they said yes, I asked where they are based no answer, I said I know this is a scam, guess what, they told me to F.O. Pam my wife was quite shocked as the phone was on speaker. I assume nothing can be done to stop this.

Best thing to do if you have time is to keep them on the phone as long as possible. The more of their time you waste the fewer people they can rip off.

I fear you are right.
You just have to be savvy (as you obviously are), and get rid of them. I've not had these for a long time, but there was a period when they were all too common.

Are you registered with the Telephone Preference Service? I doesn't stop calls from foreign parts, but it does help considerably. The other thing you can try is you have a good whistle on hand. The sort with a pea in them. Just blow that down at them. It can hurt. If I was more bothered than I am it would be my primary weapon of revenge.
S

Not had the Microsoft scam yet but I get a lot of calls from the PPI parasites.

Can't even be bothered to tell them to F/O anymore, I just hang up!

Phone preference service does not help, most of the calls originate outside of the UK and those that do not could not care less about such things.
Right pest, when my wife answers they will argue for some time that my wife has a computer, the fact that they do not speak clear English and have no concept of the fact that there is a difference between who lives at an address and who owns/operates a computer would be quite laughable if it was not so darned annoying.

I'm afraid we have an automatic response routine now, to either just put phone back on the hook or lay it down on the worktop, dependant upon how niggled we are with a particular automated or human caller, doesn't achieve anything constructive but gives a momentary sense of power.

We get two or three of these most days (telephone preference thingy seems to make no difference) and vary the tactics depending on how brassed off we feel. Usually the "leave the phone on the table" ploy, hoping this costs them, but was wondering - do they actually pay for calls by the minute, or do they have some bulk rate per call irrespective of duration? Because if they have a "per call" price, all I'm doing is effectively blocking my phone to no good effect.

Like the idea of Steve's whistle - somewhere I've got my Dad's old RAF emergency whistle. Must find it and keep it to hand.

We have Call Recogniction and our answer phone is left on all the time.
For family and friends the phones (Panasonic) verbally tell us whose phoning.
If we don't recognise it we don't answer and if it's somebody who really wants to talk to us they can leave message?

Rod

dickm":2atx2khe said:
We get two or three of these most days (telephone preference thingy seems to make no difference) and vary the tactics depending on how brassed off we feel. Usually the "leave the phone on the table" ploy, hoping this costs them, but was wondering - do they actually pay for calls by the minute, or do they have some bulk rate per call irrespective of duration? Because if they have a "per call" price, all I'm doing is effectively blocking my phone to no good effect.

Like the idea of Steve's whistle - somewhere I've got my Dad's old RAF emergency whistle. Must find it and keep it to hand.

I have been told that they somehow can reverse the call so we could be paying. The reason I mention this is I had a call picked up the phone and then heard it ring and then the muppet on the end spoke as though they just called me. Spoke to a telecom guy he said it could be done but not easy. Just be careful 10 minutes to Mumbi won't be cheap.

newt":2zs67bxq said:
The reason I mention this is I had a call picked up the phone and then heard it ring and then the muppet on the end spoke as though they just called me.

I believe the most likely reason for this is that they have an auto-dialling machine which dials a load of unsuspecting people, and as people pick up it connects them to an operator in their call centre, rather than having the operators waste their valuable time waiting for random person #923534 to pick up. Those fifteen seconds really add up over the course of the day!

And I think that's the easiest way to hurt them, if you have the time and inclination for it - the more of their time that you waste on the phone with them not getting anywhere, the less time they have to potentially make their employers money.

I must admit, I kind of like the whistle idea, though. To stay within theme, by coincidence this was posted just a couple of days ago: http://woodgears.ca/reader/walters/whistle.html ;-)

newt":3esdrxgz said:
Had several phones calls recently stating I have problems with my windows and that they work for Microsoft. I could hardly understand as they had a very heavy accent. They rang again today asking me to switch on my computer they normally ring off when I say I am using an IPad. Anyway I said do you really work for Microsoft they said yes, I asked where they are based no answer, I said I know this is a scam, guess what, they told me to F.O. Pam my wife was quite shocked as the phone was on speaker. I assume nothing can be done to stop this.
I had something similar recently Pete. I just kept on answering 'yes' to all their questions...nothing else, just 'yes' in various tones of voice. After about 10 wasted minutes they got the picture and rang off - Rob

Reminds me of those damn texts you get about how they can get you money from PPI etc.

Used to Reply F O but then read that their computers only respond to the key letters they ask you to reply with. Like PPI, for example.

So now reply.....PPI..Why don't you f**k off and die you c***s

Cathartic. I even have it set up as a text string so takes little time.

newt":7a7hfa8h said:
I assume nothing can be done to stop this.

In the short-term I doubt that there is much that can be done about these ever-increasing nuisance calls because many of them originate from overseas. However, it's probably worth registering your concerns with Ofcom because it's an industry-wide problem and if enough people complain, something will eventually be done about it http://consumers.ofcom.org.uk/tell-us/telecoms/

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Paul Chapman":10v6gih6 said:
..... However, it's probably worth registering your concerns with Ofcom because it's an industry-wide problem and if enough people complain, something will eventually be done about it .....

Paul

You are joking, I hope !

RogerS":2atxuvzo said:
Paul Chapman":2atxuvzo said:
..... However, it's probably worth registering your concerns with Ofcom because it's an industry-wide problem and if enough people complain, something will eventually be done about it .....

Paul

You are joking, I hope !

No, Roger, quite serious. If nobody complains then nothing will happen. But if everyone who receives these nuisance calls (which is probably everyone who has a 'phone) complains then something will get done. That's how the system works.

Paul

Many years ago before mobile phones, we used to use a radio system in our site Land Rovers for communication.
Our then "Hitler" type Chief Resident Engineer used to set off on his site tour barking back complaints to us underlings back at base.
We had all been issued with small dictophones and recorded long whistles and snatches of Radio 1 on them.
Everytime he called "RE1 to base" we responded with the recorded noises and the occasional " Base to RE1, sorry you are breaking up - please repeat".
He'd come storming back, red with anger and shouting "get my ####### radio fixed".
We did this numerous times over many months and he never twigged!
It took a great deal of effort to keep a straight face but the thought of his reaction if he found out made it essential. You didn't take the p##s out of your Boss in those days!

Rod

Paul Chapman":25ssxp04 said:
RogerS":25ssxp04 said:
Paul Chapman":25ssxp04 said:

Paul

You are joking, I hope !

No, Roger, quite serious. If nobody complains then nothing will happen. But if everyone who receives these nuisance calls (which is probably everyone who has a 'phone) complains then something will get done. That's how the system works.

Paul

Leaving aside how ineffective Ofcom are, since these calls originate for the most part outside the Uk, what level of sanction do you think Ofcom can make?

RogerS":37t81z8t said:
Leaving aside how ineffective Ofcom are, since these calls originate for the most part outside the Uk, what level of sanction do you think Ofcom can make?

Why ask me :? Write to Ofcom, they are the regulator........

Paul

I had one of these guys on the phone the other week.

After the bullshit about typing in a website address, which he was very careful to spell out (but which I didn't bother to type in as I knew what was going on), he asked me to read out what was on the screen.

"I don't know, I can't read" I replied.

"Sorry sir, what do you see on the screen".

"I'm really sorry, but I can't tell you. I didn't learn to read when I was at school. You must think i'm really thick" was my response.

"One moment sir. I'll put you on to my manager."

Same routine evolved, upto the line "I'm really sorry, but I can't tell you. I didn't learn to read when I was at school. You must think i'm really thick". By this time I was nearly wetting myself laughing.

The "manager's" response - "are you messing about with me sir?"

"Yes".

"You F***king C*nt" was his reply!!!!!!

After I hung up laughing my head off, he had the tenacity to phone me back and call me an F'ing C again, until he hung up once i'd told him that his mother was a slut who i'd visited on numerous occassions when backpacking in his country in my gap year :lol:

Great fun. Keep 'em coming I say.

Cheers

Karl

Latest posts

Back