Scammers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i heard on the radio about one enterprising chap who has his own 0845 number at home. so every ppi mitherer and nigerian financial guru that calls him makes him money. makes a small profit every year.

andyacg":1d8j1j03 said:
i heard on the radio about one enterprising chap who has his own 0845 number at home. so every ppi mitherer and nigerian financial guru that calls him makes him money. makes a small profit every year.

Now THAT I like. Perfect.

How about responding and telling them to telephone you on your office phone number at 02.00 hours as you work nights , and give the number of your MP or PM?

At least it might do something!!!!!!!!!!!!

andyacg":26onaj18 said:

Sounds unlikely. It's not difficult to spot 0845 at the start of a number.

BugBear

If we complain loudly enough and long enough we might be able to get Ofcom to mandate having some half way decent services added to a technologically backward phone system. It would be trivial for the phone companies to allow you to block any calls that originate from outside the country or have no caller id and even to go as far as to provide a white list of numbers that can phone you. It's pure laziness on the part of the phone companies really.

The is a chargeable option that blocks with held numbers, we have it at home and it's about 99% effective can't remember the last time we had any kind of cold call.

vally bar":2x4gvp94 said:
The is a chargeable option that blocks with held numbers, we have it at home and it's about 99% effective can't remember the last time we had any kind of cold call.

Enlighten us!

Mind you I think certain postcodes get more cold calls than others,

I can't believe those rip off merchants charge for what should be a standard system. Apart from the last little bit running to your house the phone system (of this country at least) is basically just a computer network. They have to know where calls originate so they can switch the packets flowing to and fro. They might not be able to tell what the caller ID is but they could certainly tell that the call originated from abroad because they know where it entered their system. Roll on IP telephony.

Yeah, same here. The land line hasn't had a phone plugged in on a regular basis for about 2 years now. If people want to call me they have to call the mobile where I mostly ignore unknown numbers. The only exception is when I have to call and 0845 which is expensive on a mobile even if you have stacks of minutes (another rip-off). A lot of places have alternatives to 0845 though: http://www.saynoto0870.com/

RogerS":2hc02xow said:
Trouble is, Andy, they change numbers frequently and many come in without Caller ID

callblocker will block all withheld numbers and international numbers if you like and you can program known international numbers from familly and friend to be allowed through

Back