Scaffold pole table legs? Any experience

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris_Pallet

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Good morning,

So I've been looking around for dining table legs, I like the look of the ones on the normal sites as shown in the picture.

I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience with these with regards to fixings, weight limit and fitting direct without any bracing etc?

Any advice or recommendations greatly appreciated..
Thank you

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201028-095039_Etsy.jpg
    Screenshot_20201028-095039_Etsy.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 62
Well I might be missing something but it says half inch or three-quarter inch pipe, so no, not remotely suitable for a dining table, somebody on one side of the table cutting his steak up and everybody’s wine glasses would go over.

As above, normal scaffold tube is much thicker than 3/4" (19mm), more like 48mm. Real scaffold pipe would be stiff enough if that is your thing. I've seen people use this for benches etc. The restoration couple on YT built something similar for an outside BBQ

Re the Ikea legs, I was asked to rectify a kitchen table that was made like this, it was a long one with 6 of these things, it’s fundamentally a poor/weak design, it will rock. Sorry but you will be disappointed with it. Ian

the table I am using at present with the computer on is made with the Ikea legs a is as solid as a rock so I dont share your concerns. I concede that any table will move slightly when the legs are fixed at the top and are not cross braced but probably 90% of tables in britian are made this way

Some really great advice re diameter of legs, I'll take that into consideration.
I'll look at thicker sturdier and the brace.
Cheers for the info
Really appreciate it....

The a12 oval plates are better for tables than the round ones.

Last year we made 20 or so tables for a trade show, they can wobble a little, as any table with 4 legs and no bracing will, but I was pleasantly surprised how stable they were. Alvin key clamps are a good supplier.

Also, if you are doing something larger that you want to brace diagonally you can get things like this;

1604012951244.png

Cp, I used those black pipe things you refer to for making shelf racking. They look ornate, but the paint finish isn't that durable. I think the trader just gives them a spray over with black top coat, no primer or anything.

Scaffold legs are easy to make. Most traders will cut to length for virtually nothing.
The slimmer tubes makes for something more elegant, and as folks say, a bit of ingenuity and you can find ways of braci g easy enough.

I've also used legs from the hairpin leg company. Company a very different look, but quality product which won't disappoint.

If you want black legs you can get black anodised available off the shelf too, from theatrical supply companies, much harder wearing than paint. Never seen anodised couplers, those you would have to paint.

I have made them im the past with key clamp and they are fairly stable, I also made the one pictured below from 1/2” bsp pipe, one of the benifits is that it is easily levelled as the fittings are all threaded together!
Also comes in 1” plus if you want something more sturdy.

pipe ordered cut to length from
Www.Pipeworksuppliers.co.uk

also worth mentioning i hd to clear lacquer the black iron pipe too.

hope this helps!
FC9B4E9C-B309-4EFE-8B92-13796B7DDDCA.jpeg
49C21528-3211-427F-9131-1B9BAD066C8E.jpeg

Latest posts

Back