scaffold board rubbish

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnnyb

Established Member
Reaction score
there is a firm close by me that make furniture using scaffold planks(probably one close to many of us) called dab chic. After having a look online I was astounded how shoddy it looked really just thrown together with a few cod words chucked in massaged sustainable eco etc. why is this even a thing?at least the old pine furniture was made properly. I guess something a child could make is radically different but the cod m and s advertising makes my skin creep.

it must be a reaction to the previous norm of proper. but instead of pretend handmade why not real handmade? 6 years ago there was a chap at Harrogate selling those hairpin legs and coat hooks in bulk.

Because it's popular and profitable. Trends will change and then people will buy something else.

Just checked out their website and yes what a load of rubbish.

Not sure why it takes "expert craftsmen, using decades of skill and experience" to screw a hairpin leg to a scaffold board, I would also question the claim that they use "the highest quality wood" 😂 😂 😂

As said though it's what people want so who am I to question.

Looks pretty much standard to me, as I said, the trend will pass soon enough and something else will come along.

I recently made a scaffold table from recycled boards that a colleague asked me to make. Worst job ever!!

Covered in concrete and rough as anything!

Cheers James

I think people just want stuff for cheap to be honest, that's the driving factor behind these trends, if you can get the material for cheap or free and sell it on then it's all about profit, greed and making money, I don't think the people making this stuff care about quality at all.

One thing that bothers me more is when they coat it in dirty brown briwax and call it oak (revealing all the machine marks and flaws in the surface), and just through changing the colour people seem to fall for the scam and pay more, a woodworker is definitely not their target market or middle age men lol

One thing that bothers me more is when they coat it in dirty brown briwax and call it oak (revealing all the machine marks and flaws in the surface), and just through changing the colour people seem to fall for the scam and pay more, a woodworker is definitely not their target market or middle age men lol

Not surprising punters fall for it. When we had retail furniture business it was obvious many people judge wood type by colour of finish, not wood grain.

IF (and it's a big if) it is done right and well, it can look very effective as in the early days of this trend where boards were being well prepared but with enough imperfection to still have the character and placed, typically, on 2" box section frames. this gave a certain "industrial" feel to build which, whilst not to everyone aesthetic, was at least well built and rock solid. unfortunately as a trend becomes more main stream we see the pretenders and the naive join the party in seek out cheaper and easier methods of construction. we are now at base level with hairpin legs being the simplest approach along with no effort to construct a top with any thought on movement or strength. The way I see it, the trend is on it's way out at this point as the race to the bottom is over. you will still see the well made being sold but the cheaper rubbish will phase out over the next few years now.

I've made stuff from old scaff boards, it's a pipper to do well.

I too can’t believe people have the audacity to make something and sell it for money to people who want it, what is the world coming to?!
the dogs? or is that where it's going?

disgraceful, but on the plus side, we haven't got any materials left in the country for people to make stuff out of. :)

There are gallery pictures with chisels being used and chisels laid on the wood. Everything looks butt jointed and nailed - interesting choice of tool.

Before lockdown. I noticed lots of restaurants going for an 'industrial' look. Oversized lamps with huge glowing filaments. I wonder if this is all an extension from there.

Before lockdown. I noticed lots of restaurants going for an 'industrial' look. Oversized lamps with huge glowing filaments. I wonder if this is all an extension from there.

Maybe they've been watching Drew Pritchard and his overpriced industrial junk. I'm not against anyone making and selling stuff, no matter how bad it is if that's what the customer wants but, do object to lying about materials used.

what really astounds is the publics complete innocence about what this stuff is. maybe it started as the (steam)punk rock of woodworking ie anyone could do it but as its become a thing it becomes very far removed from its origins. its just a fake show of authentic just enough to fool the general numpties.
I make and sell a few adirondacks I quite enjoy making them as there not stressful and there sturdy old things all screwed together but there like the space shuttle in comparison to Fred flintstones stuff!

Attachments

• 20210511_190723.jpg
    20210511_190723.jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 32
it was the guy that sells them the brand new boards that told me about em. he said there so wet they have a drying room he has to cut the bands off the ends.gets about £15 a plank!

I have to own up to making and selling stuff made from pallet wood - BUT I'm up-front about it and that it's "recycled timber from pallets" is part of the product's USP.

What does seem to get sold in some of the arty shops around here are industrial looking tables made from used (but sanded/waxed) scaffold boards and kee-klamp type steel tubing and fittings . . . at Cotswold prices!

Back